Review: The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

Title: The Summoning (Darkest Powers #1)
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 464
Challenge: YA Series


My Rating:

My name is Chloe Saunders and my life will never be the same again.
 
All I wanted was to make friends, meet boys, and keep on being ordinary. I don't even know what that means anymore. It all started on the day that I saw my first ghost—and the ghost saw me. Now there are ghosts everywhere and they won't leave me alone. To top it all off, I somehow got myself locked up in Lyle House, a "special home" for troubled teens. Yet the home isn't what it seems. Don't tell anyone, but I think there might be more to my housemates than meets the eye. The question is, whose side are they on? It's up to me to figure out the dangerous secrets behind Lyle House… before its skeletons come back to haunt me. -summary from goodreads.com

Chloe is your average 15 year old girl…. NOT! Chloe is a necromancer; although she doesn’t know it yet. After an embarrassing incident at school, Chloe gets sent to Lyle house, a place for mentally troubled teens (think of it as a rebab for the mentally ill) but she soon discovers that all the kids there have something in common and they’re all locked up for a specific reason. 

Super fun and exciting read. We see Chloe mature so much throughout the whole book, not only as a character but as a heroine. The freighted little girl in the beginning of the books soon disappears as she finally accepts who and what she is. I loved Simon! He was so welcoming and such a good friend to Chloe. Derek on the other hand, I’m not so sure about. I thought he was a total jerk in the beginning but then you find out more info on him and why he’s at Lyle house- you can’t help but feel for him. Plus, I’m thinking he’s got major feelings for Chloe, but afraid to admit it because of Simon.

The ending (of course) is a major cliffhanger…. But the good kind. Your glad it happened, just not glad it’s the end of the book. Haven’t had time to go out and but the sequel, but I will definitely be adding it to be TBR pile :)


7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it !! The series is pretty awesome !! I'm meeting the author in Paris on this Saturday and I'm so excited !! =) THis will be my first book signing !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'm glad you liked it! I loved it. It was amazing. :D I loved how different Chloe is and how she matures in the book too. ^-^ Awesome Review! I'm down to reading the last book and I'm trying to suspend it as much as I can! I don't want it to end so soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to check out this series. I like the idea of ghosts as the main paranormal element. Different and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SUPER INTERESTED! Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to let you know that as I'm loving The Body Finder so far, I'll definitely read Desires of the Dead and I really can't wait !!
    I look forward to know what you think of The Awakening and The Reckoning !! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome review! I adore this series! I can't wait to read The Gathering in a few weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My teacher introduced me to Kelley Armstrong and I fell in love with her Women of the Otherworld series. Then she lent me this trilogy and I immediately fell head over heels in love. I enjoy your critique and I couldn't agree more on your review! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts