Review: Fade (Dream Catcher #2)


Title: Fade (Dream Catcher #2)
Author: Lisa McMann
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 248
Challenge: YA Series Cahllenge

My Rating:



For Janie and Cabel, real life is getting tougher than the dreams. They're just trying to carve out a little (secret) time together, but no such luck. Disturbing things are happening at Fieldridge High, yet nobody's talking. When Janie taps into a classmate's violent nightmares, the case finally breaks open -- but nothing goes as planned. Not even close. Janie's in way over her head, and Cabe's shocking behavior has grave consequences for them both. Worse yet, Janie learns the truth about herself and her ability -- and it's bleak. Seriously, brutally bleak. Not only is her fate as a dream catcher sealed, but what's to come is way darker than she'd feared. -summary from goodreads.com


I had mixed feelings about Fade. After reading Wake, I was very hesitant, I thought that the author would have a hard time making Fade just as awesome as the first. I was both right and wrong. Let me explain why-
After you read Wake and get used to the style of writing the author employs in these two novels, the jerky short sentences actually enhance the writing; I actually enjoyed it. The love between Janie and Cabel seems real. They have more tension in this book than before, but end up growing closer because of it. Their relationship doesn't seem flawless or perfect. They have great chemistry, and the author really seems to portray love in a realistic manner.
With that being said, at a certain point, this book went from an awesome kick ass story to extremely depressing. Janie is more grown-up and is starting to realize that there are side effects to being a dream catcher. The older she gets, the more her ability deteriorates her. Some scene’s where a little too hard to read, I’m a big crybaby. Janie is given an assignment from the Captain that requires her to uncover sexual offenders at her high school. She ends up in the dead middle of it, and the results are not very pretty. 
Overall, this series is so much more than your typical High School Teenage Romance With a Supernatural Twists (something I thought this trilogy was). I still enjoyed reading it immensely, and the story is a great concept... but I got to a point where I feel the author doesn't know where to go with the story. It's as tough she doesn't do as much with it as she could... Anyone else feel that way?

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I was actually considering reading these when I found out that the author lives right here in AZ. Now I want to be able to answer that question of yours.
    do you have a goodreads account or is your blog the only place I can find you? either way you will know when I read and review them.

    Thanks for this deep review. :) I could tell you cared a lot about the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I agree about the chemistry between Janie and Cabel. There were definitely some parts that had me in tears too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts