Review: Heavenly (Heavenly #1)

Title: Heavenly
Author: Jennifer Laurens  
Publisher: Grove Creek
Pages: 296 
Challenge: YA Series


My Rating:


I met someone who changed everything. Matthias. My autistic sister's guardian angel. Honest. Inspiring. Funny. Hot. And immortal. That was the problem. What could I do? I did what any other girl would do-I fell in love with him. Zoe's sister darts in front of cars. Her brother's a pothead. Her parents are so overwhelmed; they don't see Zoe lost in her broken life. Zoe escapes the only way she knows how: partying. Matthias, a guardian sent from Heaven, watches over Zoe's autistic sister. After Zoe is convinced he's legit, angel and lost girl come together in a love that changes destiny. But Heaven on Earth can't last forever. -summary from goodreads.com


One word: REAL! Let me start of by saying that this book is so much more than a girl and her guardian angel.

In this story we follow 17 year old Zoe, who has turned to drinking and partying as an escape from her reality. Zoe's younger sister, Abria, has autism, her parents are walking on a very thin line with all struggles that come with having a disabled child and her brother’s stress has led him to turn to drugs as his own personal means of escape. Enter Matthias, Abrias’s guardian angel. Zoe and Abria are the only ones that can see him. The lovely thing about Matthias is that he see’s Zoe for who she truly is; a girl who’s lost her way. I loved Mathias! He's loving, caring and never judges. He slowly makes Zoe realize that she is worth more than a lousy one-night hook ups. All the scenes with him in it were very calm and comforting to read. The love Zoe feels for him is unique, she doesn’t wear her feelings on her sleeve and its cute to read how she approaches Matthias with her love and how he responds to her.

Having an autistic child herself, Mrs. Laurens was able to fully capture the struggles and frustrations that autistic families go though. Her characterization was freaking amazing! You can’t help but feel for and hurt with the characters in the story. My hearts was synchronized perfectly with theirs; I applauded their achievements and frowned upon their bad decisions. You can definitely feel the frustration and emotion coming of the pages when Abria’s around, but at the same time- you can feel the love and bond that Zoe’s family has for one another- behind all the stress and problems. They would do anything for Abria, she’s what holds them together. She’s their weakness but also their greatest strength. BEAUTIFULLY written, Mrs. Laurens. Bravo!

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very promising read! Thanks for the review and heads up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an amazing read. That must help that the author has an autistic child herself, so it really made the story feel real. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell that you really loved this which makes me want to read it! I hadnt heard of this one yet! But it just got put at the top of my TBR list!!! And angels are my current fave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mflick1 & @T.B - I dont know what it was about this book that seriously trapped me 100%. The first couple of chapters were a bit slow, but once i got pst that bump the book was amazing.... i dnt know what else to say; i loved it :) let me know if u decide on reading it and what u think of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your review! You really like this book :) It was already on my TBR pile but I'll probably move it up ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your reviews, this book is officially on my TBR list. (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I need to add this to the TBR right away. I love reading books that tackle issues such as mental illnesses and your review just made me want to read it that much more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I can't wait to read this.
    bethfred.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. @frosy - let me know how it goes! :)

    @haleyeliseread - i'm seriously losing sleep over this series! its so intense, but so so so good!

    @Tara - If you do read it, you must tell me when you post a review! I would love to have someone to talk to about this series :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks amazing, and so beautiful! I loved your review: it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww, this book sounds lovely! It seems really unique compared to the others ones out there right now. Right on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to read this one - Ive read several of her other books and they were great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for reading. I'm glad Heavenly made it to the top of your TBR pile and even more glad you so passionately understood the book. It's close to my heart, since it's my family's story. :)

    xx Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Losing sleep ?! wow i need to read this soon then! hah(: i posted this book on my to be read thursday, oh and dont worry i mentioned your blog in it since your the one who told me bout it(:

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts