Review: City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2)


Title: City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret McElderry
Pages: 453
Challenege: YA Series


My Rating:


A murderer is loose in New York City... and the victims are Downworlder children. Clary Fray and her fellow Shadowhunters have a strong suspicion that Valentine, Clary's father, may be behind the killings. But if he is the murderer, then what's his true motive? To make matters worse, the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, has been stolen, and the mysterious Inquisitor has arrived to investigate, with his eyes vigilantly targeted on Clary's brother, Jace. Clary will need to face some terrifying demons and even more terrifying family decisions. No one said that the life of a Shadowhunter would be easy. -summary from goodreads.com

Awesome, but not as good as the first. Don’t get me wrong, it was a great sequel, but sequels hardly ever live up to their predecessors. City of Ashes picks up right after book one. Clary’s mom continues to be in a coma, Jace is being a jerk and avoiding Clary, but I don’t blame him; he has so many things going on in his life. First he finds out he’s attracted to sister, secondly the Maxwell’s pretty much shun him out of their family, and lastly, his father is a crazy ex-shadowhunter who will stop at nothing to have him at his side.
After a couple of chapters I came to the realization that I was leaning a bit more towards “Team Simon”. You know when that happened? After the fey court scene; I felt so bad for Simon!... I was totally ok with the fact that Clary was honestly trying to move on; she was willing to give Simon a fair chance at her heart. I admired her for it; I knew how hard it was for her to accept her circumstance with Jace. We see Clary grow so much not only as a shadowhunter, but as a person as well. She truly is a worthy heroine, especially towards the end- the ship scene. Omg! I’ll say this- Clary kicked ass.
Overall, City of Ashes was a great continuation to TMI storyline. The only thing I’m not feeling is Jace/Clary sibling relationship? Am I the only one that feels a bit frustrated that we’re at the end of book 2 and still no info? I thought we were on to something when the inquisitor recognized one of Jace’s scars but then of course, she died. How convenient! I know, I’m a big baby, but I am seriously going to pick up City of Glass right after I’m done with this review. I need to know what happens… it’s not an option, it’s a must. 
 

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:47 AM

    That is really helpful. It provided me a number of ideas and I'll be placing them on my web site eventually. I'm bookmarking your blog and I'll be back. Thanks again!

    today news

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, the relationship issue is definitely not fun. All I'll say is GET CITY OF GLASS! That's all :]
    Oh, and you should read Clockwork Angel too! Like these books but in old London. It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I love this series so much.
    The Inquisitor was certainly on to something. Just sayin' ;) You must hurry up and read City of Glass! (Not to push you, or anything, haha!)
    I can't wait to see what you think!

    Amber
    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Laura- I think i will be giving Clockwork angel a try! i've heard great things about that series!

    @ Amber- I am on chapter 3 of COG... i better get some answers soon ;)haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG READ FAST! I want to talk you about this the way you want to talk to me about Mockingjay.

    The Fey scene is so important!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new blog design and photo are so cute!!! I'm ready for City of Glass too--- and C and J had better figure out a way to get back together in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. City of Ashes is my favorite of the entire series. That scene in the Seelie Court, just woah! I'm with everyone else, you need to read City of Glass ASAP, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favourite series! Although City of Glass was the best for me, getting 5 stars :) Glad you enjoyed it :) Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The one good thing about waiting this long to read this series is getting to read them all back to back. I thought each one was better than the last and can't wait for Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Also, does this review have any spoilers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nope! no spoilers :) read away !

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts