Review: Fallen by Lauren Kate


Title: Fallen (Fallen #1)
Author: Lauren Kate
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Pages: 452
Challenge: YA Series

My Rating:


There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori. Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move. Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her. -summary from goodreads.com
One word; CONFUSING. I had heard both good and bad things about Fallen. Sadly, I didn't enjoy it as much. In this story we follow Luce, a troubled girl whose ability to see supernatural, terrifying shadow-things has granted her a one way ticket to Sword & Cross reform school in Georgia. I’m usually a big fan of the southern gothic, and the author perfectly described the school atmosphere in a great descriptive, creating and intriguing way … But come on?! How much school ground descriptions can we take? We don’t get into the story itself until like chapter 5. The first 4 chapters were nothing but filler chapters. Daniel (the main love interest) is a jerk! He treats Luce horribly and avoids her like the plague. You'd think Luce would get the point. I kept waiting for something to happen. Waiting for the moment of figuring out what the whole purpose of the book was…. But it never came. Seriously, not even at the end.
On a positive note, the writing style was good and easy to read. Characterization was also good, when it came to specific characters. Personally, I didn’t like Luce, she didn't feel like a worthy heroine. She’s going crazy trying to get Daniel’s attention, when it’s obvious that he has no interest or holds an unknown personal grudge against her. And when he finally decides to talk to her and its time to explain whats going on, we get this lame “Oh, you can’t know the complete truth cause it might ‘shock’ you to death” excuse. COME ON Mrs. Kate, throw us a bone here…. ! 
*spoiler* (HIGHLIGHT if you want to read)  Ohhhh! And how dare Daniel kiss her knowing that it could kill her!? Tsk, tsk… Don’t even get me started on the ending. Daniel takes off to confront the evildoers, leaving Luce behind to fend for herself in the hands of some less-than-competent bodyguards. Aye ya aye! This book is all sorts of wrong. *end of spoiler*
I’m contemplating whether or not I should attempt to read the sequel. Probably will, but not now. I can get lost in a good novel, but Fallen just put me to sleep after a few pages. Another pet peeve of mine; this book was described as an ultimate love story, but it only had ONE freaking romantic scene out of the 400 something pages! Um, hopeless romantic here *raises hand*! If the main theme is romance, I'd like more than one romantic scene…. And people wonder why I loved twilight so much.

14 comments:

  1. I loved the idea of this book...it was the first angel book I picked up... but you're right, it doesn't move at all and the second book is like that too. I read it and again, I loved the plot of it but it was too slow and when the third comes out... I will read that too!

    It is a hopeless romantic...doomed from the start love... which i love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot of mixed things about this one too. Still planning on reading it at some point, but not dying to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol I love your review! I read this book a long while ago and I think I enjoyed it then, but now that I've, ahem, matured in mind :P I can imagine that I wouldn't enjoy it as much the second time around. I have Torment on my ereader but haven't gotten to it yet either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mflick1 - So would you recommend the second book? I'm a bit curious to see what the author takes the story from here but I'm afraid of disappointment :\ yeah i know, im a big baby!

    @Stephthebookworm - finish whatever you have going on in your TBR pile... trust me when I say your not missing out. Don't get me wrong, the story itself had potential, but it was cut short :\ well thats my opinion, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not exactly sure I would use the word "recommend." I would say, when you have some time for it...i def wouldnt put it at the top of your list, but she has a great plot, but she could have easily put book 1 and book 2 together... I feel like that sounds so harsh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! I have heard a lot about this book, I don't think I really want to read it honestly. I really like the plot, but I am a hopeless romantic too (it's like my main goal in reading). It's just so sad because I think this cover is awesome :/ Thanks for sharing your opinion though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg...i hated this book.!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm reading this one after I finish my current read. Yours is the first heavily negative review I've come across for Fallen. I'm sorry this didn't do it for you. I'm a hopeless romantic, too (fist pump) so I was hoping there would be more romance in it. *sigh* This one won't be swoon worthy I guess.

    ~Kelsa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diana, that sounds so absolutely frustrating. I'm read similar reviews, and I think I can say I'm not interested. If a book promises to be about a romance, well then that is what I want.

    P.S. I love Twilight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've also read good and bad things about this one... but mostly bad I think. The biggest killer for me, that's keeping me from wanting to pick up this book, is the fact that you (and others) don't seem to like the main characters particularly much. How unfortunate! It's a big turnoff for me. Will probably skip this read. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I felt much the same way about this book. I hoped that the next one would make up for it, but I just couldn't get into any of it. She's a good writer and the idea is intriguing, but it just didn't come together in the book. Nice to see someone else agrees.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't read this one yet - I have both it, and Torment. I've heard a lot of mixed things about it, so I'm hesitant if I'll try to read it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure I have read a stellar review of this one yet. I own both Fallen and Torment and I'm reluctant to read them. I appreciate your honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous7:51 AM

    I has the same mixed feelings about the book. I would read the second one. It's not amazing but its not bad . . I'm about the read the third soon so I'll have to let you know how it goes! :)

    http://brittany-blues.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts