Review: Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2)

Title: Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2)
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic
Pages: 391
Challenge: YA Series Challenge


My Rating:


Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark won the annual competition described in Hunger Games, but the aftermath leaves these victors with no sense of triumph. Instead, they have become the poster boys for a rebellion that they never planned to lead. That new, unwanted status puts them in the bull's-eye for merciless revenge by The Capitol. -summary from goodreads.com


Holy shit. That’s right, I know shit isn’t holy, but wow! This book is intense. Talk about an emotional roller coaster. In this story Katniss is back home and is getting used to her new icon/hero life. She’s back to hunting with Gale and feels more at home than ever before. Enter the Quarter Quell; think of it as the champion of champions. Every district must send a male and female whom have already won the Hunger Games. District 12 winners= Katniss, Peeta and Haymitch…. Yeah, guess who’s going back!
I was really impressed by the scene descriptions. Mrs. Collins did an awesome job bringing the arena to life. Characterization is amazing! All the characters have a spot in my heart. I really really loved Finnick! At first I didn’t know whether to trust him or not, but that quickly changed once we got into the story. Oh and Peeta… My dear Peeta. He’s just as great as he was in book one and even though he’s a bit heartbroken, he continues to do the impossible to keep Katniss safe. I am a die hard romantic, and Petta's sacrificial love for Katniss is so amazing, that I can't help love him!
Overall, Catching Fire is a fast paced, thrilling, not to mention nail biting read, that will have you hooked from start to finish. Its a fantastic mixture of adventure, romance and... well, war. The themes, while mature, are never so mature that I would feel uncomfortable in recommending the series to teenagers. The only thing I didn’t like; the ending. Major cliffhanger! Must get hands on Mockingjay NOW!

12 comments:

  1. I freaking love this series! And oh my gosh, the cliffhanger was horrible! I think I might've screamed a bit when I finished. Luckily for you, you don't have to wait for Mockingjay to be released--go get it now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy shit, indeed! My jaw seriously dropped when reading this book. When Katniss found out she had to go back into the arena? I actually had to close the book and walk away for a bit. SO CRAZY. And that cliffhanger...just wow. Finnick is probably my favorite character of the series. I can't wait for you to read Mockingjay. Enjoy! :)

    Stephanie @ Poetry to Prose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah! I loved this book! It was such a crazy read. I was literally on the edge of my seat the entire time reading it.
    Hope you like Mockingjay when you read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! I'm almost jealous... just because you are just now experience the MAGIC that is The Hunger Games trilogy :) Catching Fire is AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I love having more people to fangirl with! Great review :) This series is just mind-blowing. Holy shit is right. I'm really interested to hear what you think of Mockingjay, though. It was my least favorite of all three. Can't wait for the review!

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost died reading this book! I think I finished it in like one day and lost sleep for the next week just agonizing over the ending. Great review, Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy shit is right! haha.
    Can't wait to hear what you think of Mockingjay! I know a lot of people were disappointed by it but I personally loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh! Just wait until you read Mockinjay. I never did a review for it Just couldnt find the words! Stunning, Heartbreaking and Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  9. hehe love your review, these books are amazing, I love them.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, thought i would return the favour, and i'm glad i did, your blog rocks! I'm a new follower. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard so much greatness about these series, I'm ashamed I haven't read them yet. They are going on my TBR pile.
    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you enjoy Mockingjay!

    I felt the exact same way about Finnick as well. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing check our my blog www.9aijahouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts