Review: The Iron Daughter

Title: The Iron Daughter (Iron Fey #2)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 359
Challenge: YA Series Challenge


My Rating:


Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart. -summary from goodreads.com
 
So I am totally behind on my book reviewing but I just finished The Iron Daughter and I knew I had to write down my thoughts while the book is still fresh in my mind. I have a TON of mixed feelings about this book. I'm still trying to decide if they’re good or bad. So w/that being said, there will be slight spoilers from the first book. You might not want to read this is you haven't read The Iron King.

The Iron Daughter starts off right where the first book left off. Meghan keeps her end of the bargain & returns to Nevernever w/Ash. Once He delivers Meghan to Queen Mab, Ash disappears leaving a freezing Meghan in enemy territory & w/no powers, her glamour is somehow cut off in the Winter court. After the Scepter of the Seasons is stolen by the Iron fey, our favorite trio (Meg, Ash & Puck) head out to get it back to set order and justice to the courts. 

Now, if you read my review for the Iron King, you'll know that in the first book I really loved Meghan! She proved to us that she'd do anything to get her brother back and that took lots of courage, strength and dedication. Even the whole “damsel in distress” scenes worked perfectly and were totally believable! (Be honest,  if you were somehow dropped into an unknown magical world, don't tell me you'd be walking around kicking ass your first day?!) But in the Iron Daughter, Meghan seemed... very whinny. She'd complain about almost everything, but wouldn't do anything about it. The first hundred pages she's practically waiting for Ash to come save her.... I constantly thought to myself, "Come on, Meghan! Your better than this, get your butt out of there!" As the book goes on she does start acting like the old Meghan we all know and love, but the beginning just seemed to drag on a bit because of her negative attitude. 

In this book we have we meet some new characters whom you'll love. Honestly, I wasn't expecting to like Iron Horse, but he's just plain out awesome. We get to see a bit more into the Winter court as well as cameo appearances from the Summer court. There are many nail-biting scenes throughout the whole book! This is one action packed sequel you do not want to miss with surprises at every corner. It's crazy good!

Speaking of crazy, the love triangle... Omgosh! Ok, I'm definitely Team Puck. He's funny, charming, loyal, dedicated & handsome... what more does Meghan want? Oh, that’s right, she wants both of them. Personally, I stand my ground in thinking Ash is creepy, but you can’t help but fall for him by the end of this book. He sacrifices everything for Meghan. I guess the cold prince really does have a heart of gold after all. (Darn you, Ash, for being so wonderful. I was perfectly happy being in love with Puck, now all of a sudden I have mixed feelings!)

Overall, The Iron Daughter was an awesome read & a great sequel. I can't wait till February so I can get my hands on The Iron Queen!

4 comments:

  1. I really need to start this series !! Thanks for the review !! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I have the first in the series, I just need to get to it. I'm glad that the second in the series, though slow at first, is a great sequel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must read The Iron King so I can get to The Iron Daughter and The Iron Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Meghan's actions at the beginning confused me...but by the end I feel she came around a bit more. I can't help it, I'm team Ash. (Maybe I like creepy guys.) I appreciated your honest thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts