Review: Betrayed (House of Night #2)

Title: Betrayed (House of Night #2)
Author: PC & Kristen Cast
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Pages: 310
Challenege: YA Series 2011



My Rating:


Fledgling vampyre Zoey Redbird has managed to settle in at the House of Night.  She’s come to terms with the vast powers the vampyre goddess, Nyx, has given her, and is getting a handle on being the new Leader of the Dark Daughters. Best of all, Zoey finally feels like she belongs--like she really fits in. She actually has a boyfriend…or two. Then the unthinkable happens: Human teenagers are being killed, and all the evidence points to the House of Night. While danger stalks the humans from Zoey’s old life, she begins to realize that the very powers that make her so unique might also threaten those she loves. Then, when she needs her new friends the most, death strikes the House of Night, and Zoey must find the courage to face a betrayal that could break her heart, her soul, and jeopardize the very fabric of her world. -summary from goodreads.com


3 words: FUN, suspenseful, and entertaining!

In the second installment of the House of Night Series, we follow Zoey Redbird, who is currently the most powerful fledging ever known and is discovering more about her powers and her connection with the goddess Nyx, that's a big part of her story in this book. Zoey is trying to find her place at HON and has surrounded herself with a great group of friends. She's also learning the ropes on being a nurturing leader of the Dark Daughters. She is still dealing with Aphrodite, her biggest competitor and nemesis at the academy, but she soon learns that there is more to this rogue teen than meets the eye.
However, when a couple of football players from her old high school turn out dead, and everything points to a vampire killer, the million dollar question is; “Who’s behind the attacks?” 
Betrayed is a dark and compelling teen paranormal novel. Zoey is a believable character, and her friends are three-dimensional and wonderful. Throughout the story, we get very good character development, especially with Aphrodite. In the first book I just knew that I wasn't going to like Aphrodite's character at all but after this book I think I'm changing my mind. We learn why she acts the way she does and does some of the things that she does. We also learn a bit about her family and that explains A LOT! Nefaret's part in this book is very telling as well. I can't really say more than that without giving anything away but I can't wait to see what happens next with her.

The story takes a few steps away from the storyline in Marked. The twists and turns are interesting, but I'm not thrilled with the cliffhanger type of ending. I do look forward to reading Chosen, especially to know what happens between Zoey and Erik/Loren. I read many reviews in which people stated that they didn’t like the whole love triangle going on with Zoey, but to be honest I didn’t mind it at all. If anything, it kept the story that much interesting and entertaining.
Overall, Betrayed was a entertaining and suspenful read! If you're looking for a compelling YA vampire series, pick this one up now :)

6 comments:

  1. This is a series I've been on the fence about. If I end up not liking some of the other series I chose for the challenge, I may sub in this one - or use it for the 2012 series challenge! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the first couple books of this series. I love the supporting characters like Aphrodite, Erin, Shaunee, Damien, Jack and Stevie Ray. They are so funny and add a lot to the novels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Happy to hear that book two doesn't suffer from the sophmore slump. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! Never heard of this series but I'll have to look into them :)

    I just wanted to stop by and say that I have given you and your blog The Stylish award! This is the link for the post:
    http://lulu-bookaddict.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award-and-teaser.html

    Congrats!
    -Lulu the Bookaddict
    www.lulu-bookaddict.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lulu beat me to it! I'm awarding you the Stylish Blogger Award too! If you want to participate, here's a link to my post, and congratulations!

    http://www.loganeturner.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved betrayed! such a good book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts