Review: Hex Hall

Title: Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1)
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Publisher: Hyperion
Pages: 323
Challenge: None

My Rating:


Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters. By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect. -summary from goodreads.com


Sophie is a witch. Her father’s a warlock and her mom's human. Sophie’s mom has made an effort to keep Sophie in the “regular world”; going to regular schools, and living like a regular human girl. But when Sophie blows her cover yet again, she gets sentenced to Hecate Hall (better known as Hex hall).

Sophie is hilarious! Her witty sarcastic attitude had me laughing throughout the whole novel. I love the fact that she goes out of her way to help others and be there for those in need. She’s a take charge character and I admired that about her. The reader is immediately brought into the story, which is amazing! The plot itself is evenly spread throughout the book instead of having the main action crammed into the last few pages. Of course, I don't mind that Hawkins saved a few secrets and betrayals for the end, because she did it in a way that flows and it's part of what makes this story so interesting.

The friendships, the feuds, the hopeless crushes; all of it felt very real and believable. Ms. Hawkins captures and portrays the shifting allegiances and the dog-eat-dog mentality of high school very well! Sophie’s friendship/relationship with Archer Cross was brilliant. But I need answers! I refuse to believe Archer is the villain! I REFUSE!

Overall, Hex Hall is an entertaining, and solid novel. It’s weird to think this is Ms. Hawkin’s debut; she’s a natural storyteller. You know that expression many use, “I’d sell my soul for….”? Well, I don’t know about selling my soul, but I’d probably trade my brother and/or sister any day just to get my hands on Demonglass! I need to know what adventures are in store for Sophie, Jenna and Archer next :)

5 comments:

  1. This looks like a good read! Now I want to check it out, haha. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I refuse to believe it also. Can't wait for Demonglass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was a great read and it merged the fantasy world well! I, too can't wait for Demon Glass... this is a must read series

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard great things on this. I got a copy from the library but never got around to reading it. Glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so fun, right up my alley! I will have to give it a read, and hopefully soon! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts