Review: The Iron King



Title: The Iron King (Iron Fey #1)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Pages: 363

My Rating:
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart. -summary from goodreads.com

I had heard nothing but awesome things about this book, and since I couldn't wait to get my copy and read it, when it came in the mail, it jumped straight to the top of my TBR pile. And let me tell you…. It was WELL worth it! I loved almost everything about this book! The cover is gorgeous, the story is fast paced, interesting, and funny!

In this story we follow Meghan Chase, a typical 15-year-old girl who lives on the outskirts of town, has always felt like an outsider, and it doesn't help that her family is poor. Meghan is about to turn sixteen, when she is humiliated at school by one of the popular boys that she's had a crush on forever (it was super sad! My heart broke with Meghan’s). Things only get worse when she gets home and finds out her younger step-brother has been kidnapped. Robbie (her only friend and somewhat of a trickster) and Meghan were supposed to be celebrating her sixteenth birthday, but instead they set off on an unexpected adventure.

I thought Meghan was a believable character who reacted like a sixteen year old girl would when confronted with strange situations and horrible threats. It does get a little old when a character that supposedly lived a normal human life, suddenly turns into superwoman and saves the world. I liked that Meghan was scared and broke down in tears at times, but she was also strong, grew up fast, and discovered hidden strengths she didn't realize she possessed. Her courageousness in the Nevernever is nicely portrayed, as is her devotion to Ethan. Yet she often wanders into danger without thinking or listening to warnings and I groaned as she repeatedly made bargains with Faery characters even after seeing the devastating consequences. But all in all, I really like Meghan.

Robin Goodfellow, a.k.a. Puck-- Three words: I LOVE PUCK! He’s loyal, charming and hilarious. What more can you ask for? I wasn’t a very big fan of Prince Ash. The only reason he felt attracted to Meghan in the first place was because she reminded him of his dead wife? Uh, creeeepy. But hey, the boy is handsome, mysterious and can dance (that’s a bonus!)… I’d like to see what happens with the Meghan/Ash relationship.

Overall, The Iron King has made a fan out of me! If you’re into the action, peril, romance and adventure, then this is the book for you! You will not be able to put it down. The next book in the series, the Iron Daughter will most likely find its way to the top of my “to be read” stack as well.

12 comments:

  1. Ugh, I still haven't read The Iron King yet! I must get to it next year (and I will since I'll be reading it for a challenge) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully written review. I am a mature reader and I honestly think this is a book that will appeal to all ages. Beautiful blog you have here. I have never traveled outside the US and look forward to following your world travels from my armchair!
    http://lauriethoughts-reviews.blogspot.com/
    http://lauries-interviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diana,

    Thanks for stopping by the blog today. Glad you enjoyed the scenery! :)

    Great blog and great review. The pictures on your header are gorgeous. Lucky you getting to do all those travels.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic review Diana! I adore this series so much and I can't wait to see what you think of the next 2 books. Maybe Ash will grow on you, he's one of my favorite characters. I love Puck as well (it's hard not to), but I'm a Ash girl:) This is a series I can read again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this novel too. The next two books are definitely on my TBR pile. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I have yet to read this series *hangs head in shame* I know I know.. I've been so busy with school I haven't had the time to read it :(.

    I'm a new follower btw!!!

    Moonlight Gleam's Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there Diana!

    Thanks for visiting my blog. I always love receiving comments from old posts. Your blog looks amazing, and I love the personal touch you add to your reviews. I have not read The Iron King yet, but I've been really wanting to for a while!

    Now I'll just go ahead and follow your blog. :)

    Cass
    Words on Paper

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so love your blog! I am a new follower of YOU now! This review is to true. It was hard NOT to like Puck, & Ash is so conflicting in this book (I'm still Team Ash) HOWEVER-when yo read Iron Daughter, good luck NOT liking Ash. Mrs. Kagawa makes it SO hard!

    Ashlie

    ReplyDelete
  9. New follower stopping by! Great review -- this is one of my favorite reads from this year and the series only gets better. I'm Team Ash all the way, but Puck is amazing as well. Have fun with the rest of the series and Happy New Year!

    Stephanie @ Poetry to Prose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I plan on reading this series for the YA Series Challenge because I keep hearing great things about it. Love your review. :)

    And love your blog- traveling and reading are two of my loves as well. If only we could find careers that let us do both!

    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab review! I agree, I adore the cover as well and I just can't wait to read my copy. This series is included as well on my YA Series Challenge.

    Thanks for dropping by on my blog!

    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun review! I'm definitely torn between Ash and Puck. Ash has that bad boy thing going on, but Puck is so much fun and his personality (at least so far) is much more admirable when it comes to Meghan.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts