Review: The Hunger Games


Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic
Pages: 374

My Rating:
Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with every one out to make sure you don't live to see the morning? In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love. -Summary from goodreads.com

I was probably the LAST person to jump on the Hunger Games band wagon. I had heard so many great things about the book, that I was scared to pick it up. I feared that the book wouldn't live up to its word of mouth reputation. Boy was I WRONG! I've been kicking my own ass for not having picked up the book earlier... Let me tell you, if you love to read but haven't started Hunger Games- your missing out! 

Through the book we follow 16 year old Katniss Everdeen. She has the unfortunately luck of having to volunteer for her sister in the yearly Hunger Games, a cruel game ran by government where 24 tributes are thrown into an arena & forced to fight to the death. Along side her male district tribute, Peeta, Katniss trains & prepares (both mentally & physically) for the fight of her life... literally!

When talking about the book to my brother, he asked who I'd recommend it too... um, EVERYONE? This story is so unique, you must read it for yourself. Trust me when I say you won't regret it! This book has it all; action, suspense, thrills & even romance! Yes... that's right! Team Peeta :) haha! The emotions and actions in this book just explode off the page. I was so taken away by this cruel but hopeful world... This is probably one of the most incredible, breath-taking stories I've read in a long time! As you read the book you can't help but connect with these characters, my heart-broke with them, I laughed with them, I felt the anger they felt, I cried, I cringed; this book is a whirlwind of emotions! Each character in this book, from the main characters, to the ones only mentioned briefly were so well described, Mrs. Collins did an awesome job w/her characterization. Panem truly did come to life right before my minds eye. THANK YOU, MRS. COLLINS- You truly are a MASTER of story-telling.

Overall, The Hunger Games is an awesome action packed, rebellious, fascinating tale that EVERY book lover should pick up! Seriously… If you haven’t read, stop what your doing, go out buy a copy & read it NOW!

7 comments:

  1. This is a great review! I loved the Hunger Games :D I am curious to what you think of the next two (Personally, the first one was my fave):)
    Pssst I love your blog! And the pictures from your travels look so awesome, it's amazing how many places you've been to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this in November so I know what you mean about being late in jumping on the bandwagon. I did not want to put this book down. I loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Review! Makes me want to read the hunger games more now. I need to buy it online. :D Thanks a bunch. Great blog btw! I shall follow! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. @April, thanks so much :) are you into traveling yourself? I'll be sure to post my other reviews.

    @midnyte reader, i most def loved this book.

    @selfcentered, pick it up now! you wont regret it, i promise :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo Hoo, Team Peeta! :)

    I absolutely loved this book. Have you read Catching Fire or Mockingjay yet? Mockingjay was my favorite out of the three. Can't wait to hear what you think of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey thanks for following :)
    The Hunger Game series is probably one of my favorites! I can't wait to see your review of Catching Fire & Mockingjay:D
    Oh, and I really love love love the slide show at the top of all your books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'll probably be the last person to read it, I've heard so many great things about it but I've just not got around to it yet :/ Is it the sort of book you'll read again and again, or just love once? Really love your blog, particularly your enthusiasm :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts