Review: The Future Of Us

Title: The Future of Us
Author: Jay Asher & Carolyn Mackler
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 356
Challenge: None
Source: Own
Add to Goodreads


My Rating:
 

It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail,his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future. By refreshing their pages, they learn that making different decisions now will affect the outcome of their lives later. And as they grapple with the ups and downs of what their futures hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right - and wrong - in the present. -summary from goodreads.com


Wow. Talk about a blast from the past. I’m going to feel so old telling my kids that I was born before the internet. This book had me thinking, but not enough to leave an impression. I give this book more like 3 1/2 hearts.

The book is well-written and is narrated back and forth between the two protagonists; Emma and Josh. Emma did get on my annoying side every once in a while, but only because of her negative attitude. Also, the way she tried to “erase” her friend’s pregnancy, NO WAY! You don’t do that. Unwanted pregnancy or not, that was not her choice to make. That docked her off another couple points in my book. Josh was just awesome, he was funny and loyal; 2 traits that every best friend must have, in my opinion anyway.

The plot offers an interesting premise, one that made me question my, “online life” today. If you really think about, we share a ton of personal information online. There was this scene where Emma logs into facebook and ponders, “Who would share such personal information on the Internet?”… *raises hand slowly*… I’ll be honest and say that after finishing the book, I logged into facebook to sort of evaluate my own page. I do know one thing though, I would have killed to have been able to log into my current facebook account while I was in HS…. that would have been something.

The only thing that bugged me was the fact that there were a ton of plot holes. I know that usually tends to happen to time travel stories, but in The Future of Us we don’t get an explanation of any kind, it just happens. Which worked out ok, but I just wish the authors would have added more plot twists (story was very predictable), or even an epilogue from the future self’s of Josh and Emma.

18 comments:

  1. I've been looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth, thanks for stopping by! :) miss seeing you around here!

      Delete
  2. I still need to read this! The plot holes might bug me a little bit, I'd be thinking of the physics the whole time lol. It does sound fun to say the least :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't bug me too much until the end.... you'll see why if you read it. Do you own it? let me know if you like it :)

      Delete
  3. I have this... I am not sold on reading it yet. I don't know if it is just because I am just not in the mood or what. I have a bunch of new books being shipped right now. Um did you notice how many books are coming out right now? Sheesh - say good bye to my job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it!! I need to hot the lotto and just stay home all day and READ! ;)haha!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the review Diana, I was actually wondering if I should pick up a copy of this book .. It sounds pretty good and I'm glad you enjoyed it. It doesn't sounds like an amazing read though so I guess I'll borrow it from the library when I can :) !! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can, get it from the library.... that would be ideal :)

      Delete
  5. Anonymous6:25 PM

    Oh, I think I got this on my tbr pile but it just keeps getting bumped, thanks for reminding me of it! I loved your review. And I'm glad you liked it =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you'll like it, Alex.... it's a good read!

      Delete
  6. I loved this book! I've heard a few people saying they didn't understand all the references from the 90s, but I did, so now I just feel old. :) In all seriousness, though, when I read about the AOl 150 free hours CD, I just thought, "I remember getting those in the mail! I loved it when we got them!"

    I didn't notice any plot holes, though, as a few people have mentioned. Perhaps I should reread it to see if I missed anything. . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't so much that there were these huge plot holes, I just didn't understand the whole, AOL CD-ROM --> logging into facebook phenomenon... I would have liked a little more explanation, you know what I mean?

      Delete
  7. Oh gosh, I'm so glad the internet exists now. LOL! It would be so weird to go back now and not have it.

    Great review! I'm not sure this is one I'd pick up... unless I want to relive those dang AOL cds. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, sista! haha:) I would die without the internet...

      Delete
  8. great review! I enjoyed it as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this review. Spoiler-free :P I will definitely check this book! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Just wanted to check in on you. Where are you???? Hope all is well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have Facebook mainly because I don't want to share private things and don't want people (and companies) finding out things that are supposed to be personal info. Still, it would be kind of cool and scary to find out what's going to happen to you in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts