Review: Clockwork Angel

Title: Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Pages: 476
Challenge: None
Source: Own
Buy the books: B&N / Amazon 

My Rating:




When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos. Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by—and torn between—two best friends: Jem, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. -summary form goodreads.com


Maybe it was my love for The Mortal Instruments or maybe it was just my mood, but I was expecting a little more out of Clockwork Angel. Don't get me wrong, I still very much enjoyed it, but I was not feeling the whole, "OMG! BEST BOOK EVER" vibe I've been seeing around the blogger-sphere!

The plot was simply alright. I felt like the author started off right with her awesome world building and a kick ass back story. She even spaced out the action scenes long enough for me to take a sincere interest, but towards the middle I found myself skimming through… and that’s never a good sign. The ending and mysterious nature of the characters is what kept me flipping the pages.

Tessa in my opinion rocked! (I think I like her more than Clary- TMI). I’ll be honest and say that I had a very difficult time in accepting the love interest between Tessa and Will. I don’t know why but it just felt so forced and rushed. Also, what he says to Tessa at the end was just RUDE. Who does he think he is?!

Something that bugged me beyond belief was the similarities between Will and Jace (TMI). I knew that there would be similarities between the two characters since they‘re related…. but really?! They’re practically the same person! Brooding attitude towards life and how much they hate themselves… Come on!? I know it’s the same type of back story, but this is supposed to be a whole different series. In regards to teams, I think I’m leaning more towards Jem. Hopefully we get a little more of him in book 2.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Diana! I completely agree with you. I feel like although I really like this series, I feel like something special is missing. Some sparkle may be. As for the Will and Jace being basically the same character, that is EXACTLY what I thought. Don't get me wrong, I still like the series, but there are things that mirror the Mortal Instruments too much. I can't say more without giving spoilers from Clockwork Prince.

    This is my fave blog Diana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw! :) i have a big ol'smile on my face!! thanks so much for your kind words, Perla! I'll be sure to let you know what I thought about CLOCKWORK PRINCE once I read it. I'm curious to see if we'll have the same thoughts :)

      Delete
  2. We do get a lot more of Jem in book two and it's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you have no idea how relived I am to hear that :) thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I agree with a lot of the points in your review, although I seem to have enjoyed it more than you. Clockwork Prince IS better, if you haven't heard. What you seem to have felt with this book I kind of felt with CoFA. Not really THE BEST BOOK EVER.

    Also, I am Team Will, but I can see what you mean by the connection between him and Jace. I mean, they're by the same author, lol. But I'm getting a little sick of this Jace-and-Clary-can-never-be-together situation, and Will is, in some ways, better than Jace.

    Anyways. I still really loved the book, so give Clockwork Prince a chance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my dear!!!!!! my mised you! and Im back to blogging after my finals at school! yay!!

    I think you were cheap with the rating XD LOL!! Nah, that's okay! I love your review and if you are more team Jem, then dive into Clockwork Prince ASAP! OMG!! hell yeah!!! plus, he is featured on the cover XD hohohoho!!

    btw, I LOVE youre "Teams: The way I imagine then" sections on the sidebar! OMG!! I totally agree with all the hotties you are featuring holy cow!!! and BEN BARNES OMG!! so much hotness! and who is the Adonis that feautres Alex?? OMG! Im drooling!!!! Too much perfection for my eyes! Im dazzled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    have a great weekend my dear!!! Bye bye!

    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw sorry this didn't live up to your MI love! In ways Ive found myself enjoying this series even more than MI. It does mirror the other series a lot, especially with Will. Jem's pretty unique though :) AND you do get to know him better in book 2. It's a pretty heart wrenching sequel! Hope you like it better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt the same way about this book - It took me three tries to finish it. At least Tessa was a great main character!

    Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you! I really wanted to like this, because I was under the impression that it was amazing. I think when I was reading it, my mind was still on the ending of City of Lost Souls and what will happen in City of Heavenly Fire. I personally like Clary better than Tessa. But I don't hate her, though. I also like Jace a lot better than Will. I really don't know why this book didn't have as much appeal as i thought it would. I hope that Clockwork Prince will be a heck of a lot easier for me to read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cassandra Clare is an amazing writer. This whole series is fantastic. In these books she has created such believable characters and such an intriguing storeline it makes them hard to put down. I highly recommend the Infernal Devices and the Mortal Instruments series to anyone who enjoys reading.

    regards,
    russel of Garage Door Repairs Phoenix

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts