Review: Spells

Title: Spells (Wings #2)
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pages: 359
Challenge: None
Source: Own


My Rating:



Six months have passed since Laurel saved the gateway to the faerie realm of Avalon. Now she must spend her summer there, honing her skills as a Fall faerie. But her human family and friends are still in mortal danger--and the gateway to Avalon is more compromised than ever.

When it comes time to protect those she loves, will she depend on David, her human boyfriend, for help? Or will she turn to Tamani, the electrifying faerie with whom her connection is undeniable? -summary from goodreads.com


The author did an amazing job at describing the city of Avalon. I felt like it came to life right before my minds eye. I loved going into their world and learning more about the four seasons, the rules, the faeries, etc . There was such detail and importance in every Avalon scene, it really did seem like a mystical place. Sadly, that was probably all I liked about the book.

I wasn't a huge fan of Laurel in the book. She was needy and didn't have a lot of goals. To be honest, she was really beginning to get on my nerves, especially with her inability to make a decision whether she wants to be with her human boyfriend David or her faerie friend Tamani. Bottom line: Laurel, you're getting annoying. Grow a pair (a lady pair) and start acting like a faerie.

I also felt like there were to many plot holes. Although Tamani does a lot of explaining, I still felt there were to many confusing things. I’ve read other reviews that state that Tamani was different in this book and I agree. I understand that once in Avalon he has to act according to his “lower class” (which is total BS!), but that doesn’t mean it should take a toll on his sarcasm. He just seemed so plain in this book. Where’s the charming Tamani I fell in love with in book 1?

This book seemed like a filler… A background filler, giving us the faerie culture and history. That’s it! Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t horrible, but I just wasn’t into either... BUT, I will be reading book 3. Just because I already bought it.

5 comments:

  1. I've tried to start this one several times... not working for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, that was the case with me as well! gluck and let me know how it goes :\

      Delete
  2. I thought Laurel's indecision was annoying too.
    She was lying to herself practically the whole book.
    But yeah, I really like this series (mostly because of Tamani)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad to knw i wasn't the only one.... if i'm continuing the series ts for Tamani!!

      Delete
  3. Eh. I didn't like the first book too much, so I probably won't like this one either. I hate when series have filler books (like in Maximum Ride!), so I'll probably skip this one. Laurel sounds annoying and the change in Tamani sounds heartbreaking. :( Nevertheless, great review, Diana! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts