Review: The Goddess Test

Title: The Goddess Test
Author: Aimee Carter
Publisher: Harlequin
Pages: 304
Challenge: None
Source: Own


My Rating:



It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall. Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests. Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess. -summary from goodreads.com

I’m sad to say that I didn’t enjoy TGT as much as I thought I would…. I did enjoy it, just not to the level I was hoping too. Being a big fan of Persephone's story, I had a very difficult time identifying the myths and happenings. Kate as a character felt rushed. As the reader, I felt as if I didn’t get enough of a feeling to her, for me to decide if I like her or not. This whole novel is done in the first person perspective, yet I feel like Kate is a stranger. We never really got a view of her inner conflict, just her decisions and actions. She had this vulnerability about her that made her relatable in certain situations, but at the same time I wanted her to wake up and take action. I like my characters to have a backbone, and Kate just didn’t make the cut!

Henry was very… what’s the word I’m looking for… Bland?! Dull?... I went from thinking, “what a total creep!”, to thinking, “ok, maybe he’s just hardcore old school. Total gentleman.”, and lastly, “AHHH! Henry, you’re supposed to be the King of the Underworld; ACT LIKE IT!”

Now don’t automatically think I hated the book, because I didn’t. There were a few aspects that kept me interested, thus the 3 hearts and not lower. Although the plot didn’t have many similarities to the myth that we all know, the author made up for it by adding several original elements that I think enhanced the storyline. TGT had a ton of potential but the story just didn’t feel like it was carried out the right way. It was a little hot and cold for me; in the beginning I couldn't take it, but at the end I wanted the story to keep going. Let's hope the sequel, GODDESS INTERRUPTED, steps it up to the next level!

7 comments:

  1. I will be curious to see what you think of Goddess Interrupted because while I actually liked TGT, I pretty much hated GI. The mythology only gets worse, I think. And Henry and Kate both drove me up a wall. :( I hope you like it more than I did, though, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw boo! sad to hear you say that! i was hoping the sequel would boost my love for the series, not the other way around... :\ i'll let you know how it treats me!

      Delete
  2. Diana, I absolutely agree with what you said about the scenes with Kate and her mom. I liked Kate, and liked Henry, but wanted to (and still want to) drop-kick him, hard. But the scenes with Kate and her mother really gripped me, emotionally, and saved the book for me. Looking back, I also think that all the "reveals" were ones I figured out WAY too easily. The sequel is good, though with a few infuriating moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Molli- hahahaha! omg! i would so drop kick him! :)hahaha!.... i literally laughed out loud just now! I have a bit more hope for the sequel now, so thanks :)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous9:00 PM

    Oh, Henry was bland! I agree and Kate was ... I don't know what I want to call her but I didn't like this book as much as I thought I would or as almost every one else did. I also found Kate's mom very cruel, I didn't like her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read this book for awhile now and it was close to the top of my TBR list considering there's a sequel and all, but I think I might hold out on reading it for a while now.
    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with your review. I was waiting for dark tortured Henry. Someone needed to light a fire under him! And Kate.. *shakes head*
    I'm with Stephanie too, Goddess Interrupted didn't enhance the series like I'd hoped. It still managed to keep me wanting to read book 3 though! In hoping I'll like that one a lot more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts