Review: Revolution

Title: Revolution
Author: Jennifer Donnelly
Publisher: Delacorte Books
Pages: 472
Challenge: None
Source: Own


My Rating:



BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She’s angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she’s about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights’ most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break.

PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn’t want—and couldn’t escape.

Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. There’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.


I didn’t know what to expect when I picked up Revolution. I’ve heard about Ms. Jennifer Donnelly, but I haven’t had a chance to pick up any of her books. Yeah… that’s a big mistake on my behalf! Revolution was breathtakingly beautiful!

Andi is a 17 year old girl who is severely depressed after the death of her younger brother Truman. She blames herself and contemplates suicide several times. Andi’s character was filled with so much grief and guilt, but that wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. If anything, it brought me so much closer to her as a character. It was fascinating to see how Alex’s life helped Andi realize that she couldn’t give up and that she should fight for what she loves. When Andi read Alex’s diary I was right alongside her wanting to know more about this girl who was fighting for something she strongly believed in. I actually ended up putting the book aside a few times because of how devastating and powerful it was…. But at the same time, I was dying to know what was going to happen next. Talk about an emotional roller-coaster.

You could tell that Ms. Donnelly put much thought and effort into writing Revolution. From the history, to the music, to the characters… everything was just so powerful and relevant. Revolution was my first book from Jennifer Donnelly and I can’t wait to read more from her.

7 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed it D! It is on the darker side, as in depressing, but I loved the story so much. The parallel accounts are so neat and I loved how the author stuck close to the historical events in general. The writing was great too :) I agree with you on the emotional roller coaster ride! Great review D!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you had said you really enjoyed this book :) one of the main reasons I picked it up!

      Delete
  2. This is one of my favorite YA books. All the stuff the author weaves together: the history, the music, the genetics stuff. I thought it was amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:20 PM

    I'm so happy you liked Revolution so much!!

    Gotta ask if it's a long book? because a few years ago I bought the Tea Rose by this author and it's so massive it puts me off. I haven't even read 50 pages of it.

    :D Anyway, I love your review, made me feel excited about this book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was pretty long.... almost 500 pages, but you know what, it was worth it :) you should give it a try and let me know which of the two is better :)haha!

      Delete
  4. I loved this book so much; this was my first experience with Donnelly and it made me a fan for life. I really want to give her adult novels a try to see if they are as delightful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts