Review: Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles


Title: Perfect Chemistry (Perfect Chemistry #1)
Anthor: Simone Elkeles
Publisher:
Bloomsbury USA/Walker
Pages: 368
Challenge: None

My Rating:



When Brittany Ellis walks into chemistry class on the first day of senior year, she has no clue that her carefully created “perfect” life is about to unravel before her eyes. She’s forced to be lab partners with Alex Fuentes, a gang member from the other side of town, and he is about to threaten everything she's worked so hard for—her flawless reputation, her relationship with her boyfriend, and the secret that her home life is anything but perfect. Alex is a bad boy and he knows it. So when he makes a bet with his friends to lure Brittany into his life, he thinks nothing of it. But soon Alex realizes Brittany is a real person with real problems, and suddenly the bet he made in arrogance turns into something much more. In a passionate story about looking beneath the surface, Simone Elkeles breaks through the stereotypes and barriers that threaten to keep Brittany and Alex apart. -summary from goodreads.com
a shout out to Haley over at YA-Aholic for recommending this book! THANK YOU!
This is probably the best YA contemporary book I've ever read. It was real, emotional, powerful, tender, romantic and sexy! I loved every single second of it! I seriously don’t know how to describe what I feel; everything about this book was just perfect.
I'll admit, in the beginning Brittany was a bit of a snob, but then you learn more about her family and background…. you cant help but feel sorry for her. Of course, her problems don’t compare to Alex’s, they’re on a completely different level. Speaking of Alex!... he easily made my top 10 book boyfriends! (Slight spoiler) I don’t care if everything started out because of a dumb bet, in the end Alex won me over! Throughout the whole book, you cant help but root for Alex and Brittany’s underdog love to succeed. Everyone wants them to fail, but they’re perfect for each other. I literally found myself screaming, “just kiss her already!”
This book is such an emotional roller coaster. Two very different realities clash in perfect chemistry. The characters were definitely well written and I felt that I really got to know them - inside and out. They both hid their identities to their friends for fear of being found out and together. I loved seeing their relationship grow and how both Brittany and Alex managed to uncover their own secrets and find their true selves. I really, really REALLY enjoyed this book.
I’ve heard that the second and third book won’t be based on Alex and Brittany (tear!). Instead they will focus on Alex’s brothers; Carlos and Luis… I’m still debating on whether or not I’ll read them. Anyone else read them? Should I pick them up right away? Let me know. Overall, you haven’t read this book I recommended you go do it NOW! You’ll be sorry if you wait as long as I did.

 How I pictured Alex. He's also the actor that plays him in the book trailers.
I enjoyed this book so much that I want to share a couple of my favorite Alex quotes:

"I want to know how to make this girl laugh. I want to know what makes her cry. I want to know what it feels like to have her look at me as if I’m her knight in shinning armor"

"This connection we have isn't going away, it's only getting stronger. Because the more I spend time with her, the closer I want to be." 
"There's a thin line between love and hate. Maybe you're confusing your emotions." 
Now excuse me while I go re-read the book :)

16 comments:

  1. I've heard such good things about this book. It looks so cute. Nice review. I feel kind of like a dirty ol' lady looking at that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, a bad boy! Nice!

    Also, you've won a book at my blog! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so want to get this. I've read the Leaving Paradise books by the same author and loved them.

    My local shop doesn't have it in stock at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *swoons* now that is a book that has my interest! Now only if my library had it :( I am currently on "no you cannot buy any more books" rule (not enforced by me) so I'll just have to re-read your review and imagine what it's like..... Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @midnyte reader- no worries girly.... i totally felt like a cougar while i was reading perfect chemistry.... you can't help it :)haha!

    @Tere- i just sent you an email, let me know if there's anything else you need on my behalf, and THANK YOU :)

    @Natframpton- aw, im so sorry to hear your local shop :\

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lulu- hahahhaha! you crack me up, Lulu! :) well when your ban gets removed, make sure and check this book out... its pretty awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read the second one "Rules of Attraction" After loving the first one soo much, I didn't really think it compared. It was still a great read, but in my opinion, not as good as the first. Alex and Brittany still have semi-important roles in it-which is good, I just didn't like the main characters as much. Whatever you choose to do - Happy Reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! I need to read more contemporary books. Definitely gonna pick this up:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! So glad you enjoyed this. I reckon you will love the second book just as much but honestly Diana, I can't choose between Alex or Carlos. Both totally swoon worthy :) Great review!
    Donna x x

    P.S I love the new blog design :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow - if that's not a rave review, I don't know what is. adding to my tbr pile now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:00 PM

    Those are very nice quotes!! :D
    I never thought much about this book, like, never thought about picking it up. Maybe I should. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember seeing this review over at Buried In Books and I totally forgot to put it on my to read list! I suck! *chasties self*

    Great review! I have to admit, your awesome Alex quotes already got me regretting not buying it before. LOL

    kelsa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the comment on my giveaway!! good luck :)

    And great review! I've heard great things about this series! and hmmm that boy is fine! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't usually read contemporary books but I loved this one! Alex and Brittany were so perfect for each other! Loved your review!
    I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy the rest of the books since there is no Alex and Brittany in them but I'll sure give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love love love Alex! Actually, I just love the Fuentes brothers. Have you read Carlos's book yet? Oh man, he is so funny!

    So glad you enjoyed this one so much. It was one of my favorite reads last year. I'm dying for Luis's book. Can't wait!

    Gah! With those quotes, you have me wanting to read Alex's book again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just now saw your comment on my review of PC! I am so glad you loved it! (: I read Rules of Attraction, it's good...but for me it's no where near as good as PC (:

    -haley(:

    haleyeliseread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts