Review: City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments #3)

Title: City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments #3)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry 
Pages: 541
Challenge: YA Series


My Rating

To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters -- never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight. As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadow-hunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadow-hunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her new found powers to help save the Glass City -- whatever the cost? -summary from goodreads.com



Wow…. Just wow. What can I say about COG that hasn’t already been said. This was such an intense story.... in a good and in a bad way.

In this last installment, we pick up right after the events in book 2. After making their forbidden journey into Idris, Clary and Luke meet up with the rest of the gang and some new characters. They're introduced to Sebastian, another Shadowhunter, and Cary meets Amatis, Luke's sister. Then continues the epic final battle versus Valentine, and let me tell ya, it was AWESOME! *slight spoiler* I felt all giddy inside knowing that the Downworlders and Shadowhunters were working together against Valentine.

It was nice to finally get Clary's moms point of view and find out all the hidden secrets and what really happened. I enjoyed reading about all the characters! You really grow to love them and their relationships. But let me warn you.... There were certain scenes that did make me cringe. I'm talking about Jace and Clary. Deep down, I knew that Clary and Jace weren’t related, but that didn’t make the kissing scenes easier to read. I felt so torn; I loved it when Jace gave in to his emotional side and went in search of Clary (especially since he spent the majority of the book being a complete jerk)…. But at the same time I was praying they wouldn’t kiss… You're cheering for the same people that gross you out when their together... does what make sense? I don’t know, it just felt so wrong to me.


With that being said, I still loved the story and the ending! What can I say, I'm a sucker for happy endings. Plus, the Simon and Jace humor charm from the past 2 books is still present and very strong.... even during the darker parts of the novel they were both hilarious! Overall, this is an awesome ending to what I thought was a trilogy. It turns our book 4 City of Fallen Angels released earlier this year and you can bet your bottoms I will be buying it this weekend :)

6 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed this! I honestly like both Simon & Jace that I didn't know who I want for Clary to be with. But the ending for this book was really satisfying! I'm excited for CoFA too ;) Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, but even if Jace and Clary were actually siblings I'd totally be cheering them on for some swoon worthy kissing scenes. I know, I'm sick, but come on - they're awesome together! And its a nice twist to a series compared to others that are over used but still best sellers. :)

    Great review girl!

    Kelsa P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Spoiler for those who have not read CoG*
    Was it only me that I had no problem with Jace & Clary's scenes? From the first moment we learn that they are siblings I just couldn't believe it! I refused! They are so good together! I knew deep down that Cassandra was playing tricks with us :) the shocking for me in the end would be, if they actually WERE siblings! LOL

    Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AHah ! Awesome series, isn't it ?
    I'm sure you'll like the fourth book and I can't wait to read your review one it !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew you would love this one! and I agree about the kissing scene. You know they aren't bro/sis but at the same time, THEY DONT KNOW THAT! But once you find out they aren't siblings...bring on the love story!

    Number three is my fav of the series but number four is really good too...CANT WAIT TO READ WHAT YOU THINK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:47 PM

    WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!! They aren't really related. Yes! Yes! Yes! I still haven't read book two, but frankly my dear, I don't give a dang. Don't worry you didn't spoil anything for me with this review. Spoiling something for me is when you tell me something I don't want to know, but I've been dieing to know if they were actually related.

    I really need to get my own copies of this series now! My library sucks, they EXPECT me to give books back to them. *snorts* What, weirdos. Okay, I am off to put these books on my PBS wishlist. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts