Review: Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder #2)


Title: Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder #2)
Author: Kimberly Derting
Publisher: HarperTeen

Pages: 368
Challenge: YA Series
My Rating: 


Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life. As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger.  -summary from goodreads.com

It was very nice to start the book off with a clean start; we didn’t have any cliffhanger or lingering questions/problems from book one. Violet and Jay have a bit of a break and it was nice seeing their relationship in a drama-free zone. But I was anxious to see what new plot Ms. Derting was going to throw at us.

In the book we still get to see the “stalkers” point of view, which gives the story a major creep factor. Although I will say that I did figure out how everything was going to unfold a bit sooner than I did with The Body Finder…. But there is still plenty of excitement and suspense throughout the book. At times I found myself screaming, “Nooo! Turn around! Don’t go in there alone!” …. Lets just say that at times I felt like I was watching a horror film in which the protagonist walks straight into a trap or does something stupid. But every event is part of the bigger picture towards the end. I really like the new FBI characters that were introduced; Sarah and Rafe. Violet forms a sort-of friendship with Rafe but I'm not really looking forward to seeing more of him, I'M FOREVER TEAM JAY!

My only complaint about this book is Violet and Jay’s relationship; it was rather anti-climatic… now before you start sharpening your pitchforks, let me explain. Despite how romantic and sweet Jay is to Violet throughout the book; he does have a moment of weakness and they get into a fight and Violet definitely overreacts! She gets this horrible attitude and she pretty much lost all my “Violet is a kick ass heroine” respect. I want their relationship to succeed, but with the way Violet was acting I was afraid I wasn’t going to get my happy ending.

Will I read book 3, yes... But not a top priority. 

10 comments:

  1. Unfortunately I didn't like the first book of the series so I'm not planning to read this one .. I'm glad you liked it though ! The cover looks gorgeous like the first one !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Violet definitely overreacted. I also have an issue with how she always wants to go off and do things on her own instead of asking for help!
    Maybe with the new FBI division we'll see some people with abilities, cuz I know Rafe's hiding something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you liked the book! I had a problem with the whole violet meltdown thing too. I'm really interested in learning more about Rafe! There's something about him I can't wuite put my finger on. :) I hope we get to know his characrter a litle better in the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @elodie- aww im sorry you didnt enjoy the first book... and yes the covers are very pretty!

    @Laura- yesss! I also felt like Rafe is hiding something and I can't wait to find out what it is.

    @Ezzy- THANK YOU for giving me the book in the first place! Your the BEST! & yess.... can't wait to see whats up with Rafe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:38 PM

    I've heard so many things about this series!
    And I want to thank you for covering the good and the bad, I'm still not sure if I'll read it, but I'm more intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still need to read the first one. I am WAY behind on my YA series, for real. It's bad. I've heard a few mixed reviews about this series, but I want to give it a shot anyways. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha!

    Is it just me or does it seem like you are always reaching through books and slapping characters around?! But no worries. I get that way too when I feel a character overreacts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to hear you liked this book! I haven't read the first one yet, but I plan to. I hear it's really good!

    P.S. It's not too late to join Armchair BEA! Just sign up on this post:
    http://www.armchairbea.com/2011/04/participant-registration-now-open.html
    ...and then join in the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Alex & Sarah- I really enjoyed the first book and I think you will too!

    @Missie- OMG YESS! I wish I could meet these characters in real life... I would give them one hell of a pep talk :)haha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh great review! I loved The Body Finder and have a copy of this sitting in my bookshelf, crying to be read. I really need to bump it on my on my TBR pile! I'm intrigued by Rafe now ;) But I'm a little worried about the Violet's overreaction, I love my Jay and Violet together!

    MUST READ THIS SOON! Love your review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts