Review: Nightshade (Nightshade #1)


Title: Nightshade (Nightshade #1)
Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Philomel
Pages: 452
Challenge: None

My Rating:
Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything— including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice? -summary from goodreads.com

Meet Calla; she is a kick ass and awesome, soon to be 18 year old Alpha werewolf! )First heroine I don’t want to slap around :)haha!) She is Alpha of the Nightshades, a Guardian pack working for the Keepers. Her job is to protect all Keeper secrets from the Searchers. Since infancy, Calla is betrothed to Ren, Alpha of the Bane Guardian Pack. She has always known and accepted her destiny, but all that changes the day she saves Shay, a human boy who has just moved into town. Much to her surprise, Shay is not all that he appears. There’s a reason he moved to the secluded mountain which is Vail, and Shay and Calla set out to find the truth about who he truly is and how he fits into Calla’s world.
Such a unique story! I quickly fell in love with the magical world of Alphas, Keepers, and wraiths. The plot in itself was enthralling and romantic, but I felt the author had a little too much foreshadowing. For example; Slight spoiler- when Calla was getting dress fitted and her mom started freaking out because Logan was making Calla spend time with Shay… yeah… thanks to that scene I kind of figured out the ending.
Characterization was great; Ansel was easily my favorite character. He was willing to risk anything for his sister…. What I wouldn’t do for a brother like him! I was a bit angry with Calla for not trusting him with the truth, but I later understood that she did it for his own good. Calla's yearning for Shay was a little too much for my taste…. Gosh, I’m such a hypocrite, had it been the other way around (Ren and not Shay) I would have been all for it! The whole Calla and Shay relationship, I just never felt it.  It lacked substance, and honestly I thought it was too instantaneous. I usually enjoy “love at first sight” stories, but something about Shay just didn’t work for me. Ren on the other hand… well, let’s just say he had my blood boiling! Although Ren started off as a jerk, he had totally transformed by the end (Chapter 33…. Awwwww!) and that give’s him mad props in my book! TEAM REN!

Overall, Nightshade was a quick, captivating read. This is a series to watch out for! Luckily for me, Wolfsbane is sitting in my TBR pile :) it might not be next. But I think I’d be willing to bump it up!

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it Diana =)!! I'm so jealous you have Wolfsbane, I can't wait to read it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so much about this one, and it sounds really good! I had no idea what it was about before, but now I can't wait to read it! I don't know how I would feel if I was in Calla's position, knowing that my life was set out before me... who knows though. Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol I'm still on the fence about if I'm Team Ren or Team Shay.
    I finished Wolfsbane a few weeks ago and its really good. Hope you enjoy it :) Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:02 PM

    It looks like you really enjoyed it. My friend has been trying to get me to read it for a while, but I don't know... still, your review gives me hope I might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your review, totally agree. I WANT to like Shay. But, I just can't. He always did the right thing, and it made him less real for me. Ren obviously grew up with an abusive, or at least terrible, father figure and I can really see how that shaped his attitude towards others. Personally, I am more interested in seeing how Calla and Ren can grow up into adults as opposed to the perfect boy Shay, who not only always says the right thing to Calla, completely adapts to wolf-hood overnight, and can handle axes and whips for stupid reasons (really?? reaaly?). *end rant* lol. Besides, following "wolf" protocol, how can Calla be with another wolf/Guardian who isn't Alpha?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Elodie- thanks so much girly! stick around, I might have a giveaway right after I finish it :) I believe a book is worth the times it's read!

    @Tessa- thanks for stopping by! & yess, it would be super freighting, not to mention awkward.

    @Alex- I think you might like it, give it a try :) you & I seem to have similar taste.

    @juicy_couture_22- couldn't have said it better myself! girl we should start a Team Ren fan club! & a lil spoiler from Wolfsbane... I'm a couple chapters in and a bit disappointed cause we havent heard or seen Ren :((

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:45 AM

    Love this! Definitely adding it to my To-Read pile! Thanks for the great review. It definitely helps me make up my mind about reading it!

    -Em
    http://sashandem.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog for IMM! I love the look of yours, so cute. I LOVED Nightshade, and can't wait to get my hands on Wolfsbane :). I'm a new follower!
    ~ Jen @ A Book and a Latte

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:41 AM

    Team Ren for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts