Review: Wolfsbane (Nightshade #2)

Title: Wolfsbane (Nightshade #2)
Author: Andrea Cremer
Publisher: Penguin Young Readers Group
Pages: 400
Challenge: None


My Rating:


When Calla Tor wakes up in the lair of the Searchers, her sworn enemies, she’s certain her days are numbered. But then the Searchers make her an offer—one that gives her the chance to destroy her former masters and save the pack—and the man—she left behind. Is Ren worth the price of her freedom? And will Shay stand by her side no matter what? Now in control of her own destiny, Calla must decide which battles are worth fighting and how many trials true love can endure and still survive. -summary from goodreads.com


I had originally given this book a 4 heart rating, but now that I think about it I’m leaning more towards a 3 ½. Let me explain. In Wolfsbane we pick up right after the ending in Nightshade. With that being said, if it’s been a while since you finished Nightshade, I would recommended going back to read the last chapter or so. Just so you get a better feel on what’s going on (unlike me; I was a bit lost at first).

The first 200 and something pages of Wolfsbane is the history of the Guardians. In the beginning I was very intrigued! The history was very interesting, but after a while it seemed to me like that was all we were going to get, just history. When things finally start to move along, I found myself not liking the way they were headed. For starters- slight spoiler- I couldn’t (wouldn’t is more accurate) believe what happened to Ansel! Super unjust and cruel! Also (bigger spoiler- highlight to read) [[ when Calla finds out her mom was killed because of her, the girl did not show enough emotion. Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t the mom’s biggest fan in Nightshade, but she’s still her mother… you know what I mean? I would have cried like a baby, mean mom or not! I get the fact that she’s supposed to be this bad ass Alpha, but come on! Holding things in like that will just make her snap…. Which towards the end, she kind of does. ]]

Calla does have a moment of weakness where everything that’s happened is too overpowering and overwhelming… but Shay comes to the rescue. You’ll see what I mean ;) The last couple of chapters (with the exception of the very last one) were hilarious! I loved getting the girls back together. Sabine really surprised me.

Ok, so if you’ve read this far and your thinking, “Well Diana, all this doesn’t seem too bad…. I think I’ll manage” Well good for you my friend, but let me warn ya… my personal main major complaint; NO REN! Seriously, there is only ONE scene where he is present… ONE! It’s a GOOD scene, but one none the less. I was seriously growing grey hairs over here…. Team Ren all the way! Love Shay, but he just doesn't feel right for Calla.

Like any good series, there is always one book (usually the 2nd book…. New Moon anyone? I wanted to throw that thing to Timbuktu!) that has to be more of a transitional book; the one that prepares us for the awesome happenings that will happen in book 3….. I seriously feel that's what Wolfsbane does. Especially after the big revelations at the end. Ugh. The ending….. KILLER!

8 comments:

  1. Well, I WAS looking forward to reading this but oh, how I hate cliff hangers. This sounds like a doozy! Maybe I should wait until right before the next book comes out to read this one! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not going to read your review...but know that i am dying to read this book and will comment at a later date!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *cries* Ansel!! Oh my goodness, my heart hurts just thinking about him....I love, love, LOVED Ansel in the first book! He was just this happy, free little spirit & in Wolfsbane he's a completely different character. *sniffle*

    And then i get that Calla shouldn't show a lot of emotion b/c she's the Alpha and has to be tough and all, but ZEETUS LAPETUS!! what has to happen for that girl to break the eff down? i think a MAJOR thing DID happened, and did she even cry? i can't remember, the pages were blurry through my own tears! LOL!

    P DOT S- Ren needs to be in Bloodrose 150% more than he was in Wolfsbane! I missed his sexiness soo much!! :P

    Also if Calla does not end up with Ren a piece of my soul will die. For Realzz! #TeamRen FTW!!!

    Great Review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aimee- I wouldn't say put it off, BUT I would prepare myself. I mean overall Wolfsbane was a good book, the writing is magnificent and the storytelling is great... I just didn't like the plot and pace. Give it a try and see for yourself.

    Michelle- No worries girly, you know we'll probably have back & forth emails once your done reading this.

    Brooke- OMG YESSS! I could not have said it better myself! Loved Ansel in the first book, hated him here.... and yesss! We should definitely write a petition demanding we get 150% more Ren in Bloodrose!! Can I get an amen? :)haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! I freaking love New Moon. :P

    Well, that kinda is a big bummer that Ren is only in one scene. I haven't quite decided what team I'm on yet.

    I do love the history and stuff of the pack. so I'm looking forward to more of that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still haven't read nightshade! Great review and I loved how you hid the spoilers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to pick this one up. You're right that second books usually are imperfect but at least they move the series along. Plus I'm Team Shay so I should be happy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. UGH I have heard about this no Ren thing...and it makes me SO mad...I honestly wont be picking this up too quickly just because of that factor..hopefully Bloodrose will have ALOT of Ren then to make up for him missing in this book (;

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts