Review: Shadowland (The Immortals #3)


Title: Shadowland (The Immortals #3)
Author: Alyson Noel
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Pages: 368
Challenge: YA Series


My Rating:

At the start of this breathtaking novel, Damen and Ever travel to Summerland in search of an antidote to reverse a powerful poison. But instead of the cure they seek, they find something far more sinister: the truth about their existence and the fate lying in wait of an immortal’s soul. Now, with Damen fighting to save them from the Shadowland, Ever turns to magick, hoping to break Damen’s curse. Along the way Ever encounters the mysterious Jude, finding herself drawn to him in a way that will test her love for Damen like never before. -summary form goodreads.com
The book starts off right where Blue Moon left off; Ever saved Damen from dying by giving him a cure. However, thanks to Roman’s bad advice, Ever included her own blood in the mixture thus causing Damen to be allergic to her. Ever’s DNA is now poison to him, they can’t even touch. Desperate to find a cure, Ever uses every resource possible and even begins working at a occult store. That’s where she meets Jude, a new character in the series whom we later find out has served as a love interest for Ever in her past lives.

Ok, I’m going to be forward and just say what’s on my mind; Ever has got to be one of the dumbest teenagers ever! Gosh does that girl make some bad decisions. I honestly think my 12-year-old cousin has more common sense then her. Considering the fact that Roman was the one who messed up the so called “cure” in the first place, why on Earth would Ever go crawling back to him and ask him for help?

Ever makes girls seem weak and unable to make good decisions. What seemed to make this book interesting (for me at least) was Jude. I really liked his character and I think it brought with him new mystery, something the plot desperately needed. I could totally sense the connection between him and Ever. Dare I say I even liked him more than Damen? At least in this novel I did. Damen was acting really weird in this installment.

There were a couple of times where the plot seemed to be advancing and it looked like things were about to get good, but then the ending came and I was just left speechless…. Yeah, I’m talking about the choice to be made with Haven (you’ll see what I mean when you read the book), IT CAME OUT OF NOWHERE! It felt rushed and unconnected to anything that was going on in the book. It was as if the author needed a cliffhanger ending but couldn’t think of anything else.

Overall, Shadowland definitely had potential, but I personally feel it missed its goal. But although this book was a bit unsatisfying, I will continue the series to see where it's headed…. Just not anytime soon.

3 comments:

  1. And therein lies the reason why this book truly made me angry. By the end of the book, I didn't like Damen very much, which was kind of the whole reason I kept reading in the first place. I LOVED Jude and I'm in total agreement that he made the book, but he definitely wasn't in it enough for my taste. PLUS, I do not like Haven...at all. Not even a little. I liked that she was on the outskirts of the whole story. I thought that cliffhanger was terrible. And I SO agree with you, Ever has to be the dumbest girl EVER. I think my eleven year old niece would make better decisions. Love the review, Diana!{sorry for the rant :D}

    P.S.- I really love your blog, it's so cute! Plus, I love to find fellow travelers. ;D

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  2. True! Vigorously nodding my head in agreement!
    Great post! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jen- rant away, my friend! :) I completely agree with everything you just said.

    @ Fresh Garden- Good to know I'm not the only onw who feels this way! Thanks so much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts