Review: Clarity (Clarity #1)

Title: Clarity (Clarity #1)
Author: Kim Harrington
Publisher: Point
Pages: 256

My Rating:


Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift. And a curse. When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case--but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother--who has supernatural gifts of his own--becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most? -summary from goodreads.com
CLARITY is 256 pages of AWESOME! I loved everything about it! Ms. Harrington did a phenomenal job creating a story that kept me guessing till the end, it was so suspenseful that I had a hard time putting the book down! I really enjoyed Clare's family. You could really tell how much they loved each other and how they would do whatever was necessary to ensure each others well being. They work together as a team giving physic readings to tourists in their small hometown, Eastport. But after the tragic murder of a teenage tourist, Clare is asked to “assist” the police by using her psychic ability.

Clare is a great protagonist. The author captures the voice of a teenage girl quite well. We get to see Clarity struggle with self-doubt because of her powers. She tends to isolate herself because she thinks no one would be friends with a “freak”, but it’s easy to see that there are many people who care about her. She is a strong and yet vulnerable character…. I loved that. And of course, we have our typical YA love triangle.

On one end we have Justin, Clare’s ex-boyfriend whom will stop at nothing to get her affection back, and Gabriel, the hot new boy detective in town. Want to take a guess at who I’m rooting for? Well you shouldn’t because I don’t even know. Yes, that’s right; little ‘ol me, the hopeless romantic, DOES NOT know who to root for! (Can you tell this has never happened before?) I thought both guys where really great and I was still undecided at the end of the book as to which one I wanted to see Clare with.

8 comments:

  1. I have this book and all I read are amazing reviews but I haven't had a chance to read it yet, definitely soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any sort of book that deals with powers and I'm there! Putting this on hold now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit, I've been debating over this one. The reviews I've read either love it or don't. Also, I'm a little bored with the triangle. BUT (it's a big but) if it's written in a way that seems like it's not really a triangle aka The Crafty-Not-Quite-Triangle then I'm totally down. Hmmm...Now I'm teetering on the metaphorical fence. I might fall off and pick it up. You've made it sound so excellent.

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:25 PM

    This one sounds supper awesome!
    I need to read it sometime soon, and you're just tempting me with this review.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Yani, I'm pretty positive you'll enjoy it :) it really is a wonderful debut!

    @Jen, girl you crack me uppp! :)haha! Give it a try, the love triangle is not bad at all.

    @Alex, let me know hwat you think if you do read it :) Im pretty sire you will like it.... we seem to have similar taste!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes. Yes, I do have this one stuck in the botton of my TBR. Not cool, Missie.

    I honestly don't think I've ever come across a triangle in which I didn't know who to root for. That alone makes me really curious to read just to see if I'd find myself in the same position as you.

    Awesome review, D. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, I'll have to reconsider this book! It didn't seem really my style, but your review makes me want to pick it up. Thanks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the idea behind this one, and I love how the family plays a very important role in the book. Great review, and I can't wait to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts