Review: Halo (Halo #1)

Title: Halo (Halo #1)
Author: Alexandra Adornetto
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Pages: 496
Challenge: None


My Rating:


Three angels- Gabriel, the warrior; Ivy, the healer; and Bethany, the youngest and most human- are sent by Heaven to bring good to a world falling under the influence of darkness. They must work hard to conceal their luminous glow, superhuman powers, and, most dangerous of all, their wings, all the while avoiding all human attachments. Then Bethany meets Xavier Woods, and neither of them is able to resist the attraction between them. Gabriel and Ivy do everything in their power to intervene, but the bond between Xavier and Bethany seems too strong. The angel’s mission is urgent, and dark forces are threatening. Will love ruin Bethany or save her? -summary from goodreads.com

Alright, lets jump right in. I loved this book, I really did. I had read so many negative reviews on this book, that in reality, I just didn’t want to pick it up…. That’ll teach me to be influenced by others negativity. Halo was a rich and delicious reading experience for me, and it was filled with spiritual teachings I often times forget. As far as Halo being “preachy” (I read that in a lot of reviews), I actually felt that it was but being a somewhat religious person myself, that didn’t bother me one bit. If anything, I probably enjoyed it more because of it.

In Halo, we follow three heavenly angels; Gabriel, Ivy and Bethany. I was fascinated with the entire premise of angels coming to Earth to live and work as “agents of light”. Bethany, the youngest of the three angels, finds herself in awe of humanity and the astonishing complexities of teenage life. I loved experiencing all that God has created for mankind through the eyes of Bethany. Listening to her explain the process of getting used to a human body, I felt as if I was a baby learning to walk all over again. All these tiny day-to-day routines we have but seem to overlook seemed 3x more fascinating when someone new to our world is living and describing them.

Soon Bethany enrolls in the local HS and she finds an irresistible connection with the local heartthrob, Xavier. Although Xavier is an all around good guy, he is also well known to keep himself emotionally unavailable. That was something that I loved about Xavier, he’s not your typical love interest who has never been in love. On the contrary, there was somebody in his life before whom he loved and lost, hence the emotional unavailability….. But this fact does not belittle the love that he feels for Bethany.

Bethany and Xavier’s relationship was sweet and realistic… well, you know, besides the part of her being an angel. When things between them started to get tough, Bethany acted the way any other teenage would, and I don’t blame her. I remember how BLIND I was to reason the first time I was in love. Although I’d like to judge Beth for some of her actions… I just can’t. Because I know I would have probably down the exact same thing.

Being a teenage herself when she wrote this book (she was 17…. Seven-freaking-teen!), Ms. Adornetto is also able to capture HS life magnificently. I was literally taken back to HS with the scene description and dialogue…. I forgot how scary it can be. Overall, the author’s writing was phenomenal :) if your looking for a book with a positive message and don’t mind a bit of Christian elements, than Halo is the book for you. I will definitely be picking up book 2; HADES.

10 comments:

  1. I've seen lots of so-so reviews for this too but I'm so glad you loved it!! It does sound fantastic and the cover's awesome. Hopefully I get to it this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura *waves*
    Yesss, there are lots of so-so reviews. I think this s one of those books that you either love, or hate. fortunately for me, I enjoyed it :) but let me know how it treats you!
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want this so bad! [: And the cover is gorgeous. Glad you enjoyed it and great review!

    Erin @ Let's Evaluate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:21 PM

    Oh, I've seen this one about, it's even published in Spanish; but it's kind of long so I've been putting it off :P

    I'm glad you liked it though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, she wrote it when she was 17?! That's so awesome!

    I can't decide if I'm going to read this book or not. I'm not really into books with angels, but I keep hearing how good it is. Maybe one of these days I'll give it a try.

    Love your review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to represent the flip side, D! You made me actually want to read this one now. After seeing so many bad reviews I had forgotten about it, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well now...have I got a giveaway for you ;) Ha!

    Great review! I was surprised to learn how young Alexandra was. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, wow. How weird because I bought this book a long time ago, but the negative reviews I have read about it have kept me from reading it. Glad to know it turned out better than expected. Also, who better to write about high school than a teen.

    Thanks for the review, D. I think I'll put this back on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great to read a positive review on this book! I was kind of scared to read Halo with all of the negative reviews, but I think now I'll give it a try.

    I think it has one of the most gorgeous covers, ever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear you enjoyed this one! The cover looks gorgeous by the way. Wow, that's amazing that she wrote this when she was only seventeen years old! I'm sure the story felt tons more realistic because of that. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts