Review: Sea Change

Title: Sea Change
Author: Aimee Friedman
Publisher: Point
Pages: 292


My Rating:

16-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science...and not so great with boys. After major drama with her boyfriend and (now ex) best friend, she's happy to spend the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate. There, Miranda finds new friends and an island with a mysterious, mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, friendship...and reality. Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something that she never could have imagined? -Summary from goodreads.com


How beautiful is that cover? I actually finished reading Sea Change during my trip to Costa Rica- definitely my favorite beach read! Ms. Friedman's excellent narrative descriptions will have you feeling the ocean spray on your face & the sandy beach between your toes. You will soon find yourself transported to this beautiful enchanted Island filled with mystery, adventure, romance & much more.

The story starts off with Miranda meeting up with her mother at Selkie Island with hopes of selling a property they just inherited (her mothers old childhood home). Leo is the charming but mysterious local boy who seems to have caught Miranda's attention... Luckily, he also has his eye on her ;) Miranda soon finds herself drawn to her grandmother’s house, as well as Selkie Island & soon questions many things she thought she had figured out. Pretty soon Miranda puts all the clues together & is able to tie herself into all the folk & legends that surround the Island.

I loved Miranda, it was great to have a female lead actually be firm & coherent before the boy she likes instead of turning all dimwit. She is very strong & level headed, its so much fun to see her personal growth throughout the book. & of course I was practically swooning over Leo... I've read read lots of negative comments about the ending, I won’t give much away but personally I think the ending was just right! It leaves us with the sense of mystery & adds to the overall magical feel of Selkie Island.... With that being said, I would not mind a sequel, haha! (Please MS. Friedman! PLEASE!)

2 comments:

  1. This review was amazing!! The novel looks great and I love finding new ones to add to my reading pile! I'm a new follower and your blog is so cute! Feel free to return the favor at my blog: http://Jennifer-Daiker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts