Review: Scribbler of Dreams


Title: Scribble of Dreams
Author: Mary E. Pearson
Publisher: Tandem Library
Pages: 240

My Rating:
It's the Crutchfields v. the Malones in this lush Romeo and Juliet story about two related California families that have hated each other for generations, even though (or perhaps because) they own adjacent tracks of ocean-view land. Like the rest of her family, 17-year-old Kait Malone blames the Crutchfields for everything, particularly now that her father's in jail for killing Robert Crutchfield in what the Malones claim was an accident. Money is short, because the Malones refuse to sell any of their land, so Kait and her sister must transfer to the public high school under assumed names. And then the unthinkable happens: Kait falls head over heels in love with a beautiful boy named Bram--who turns out to be a Crutchfield. -Summary from goodreads.com

I first heard about this book from a friend. She had mentioned that it was a, & I quote- "heart warming book that will have you hooked from chapter one". Although the book did have me hooked from the first chapter, as I continued reading, it just became harder & harder for me to finish it! The whole Modern day Romeo & Juliet plot had great potential, but it all just got lost somewhere in between. 

I loved how Bram & Kait's sudden relationship started, it was actually very believable & incredibly cute... Bram can sketch me out anytime! :) haha! But I hated the way Kait's lies just kept on coming! I seriously found myself yelling, "Just fess up already!" But I will admit, I loved Kait's speech at the end... I'll give her props for that!

Besides my dislike for the constant lies, the ending kind of sucked. It felt so many things up untied... When I turned the last page I was like, "What the heck? That's it?" idk. Maybe the sudden ending is supposed to add more suspense to the whole hate/love passion going on, but i wasn't feeling it. If the author were to announce a sequel anytime soon, I would most definitely pick up a copy just to see what happens between Kait & Bram.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts