Review: Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods #1)

Author: Melissa de la Cruz
Publisher: Hyperion
Pages : 320

My Rating:


 
Within New York City’s most elite families, there lurks a secret society of celebrated Americans whose ancestors sailed on the Mayflower. They are the powerful and the wealthy—and in fact, they are not human. They are the Blue Bloods, an ancient group of vampires. Schuyler Van Alen has never fit in at Duchesne, her prestigious New York City private school. She prefers baggy, vintage clothes instead of the Prada and pearls worn by her classmates, and she lives with her reclusive grandmother in a dilapidated mansion. Schuyler is a loner—and happy that way. But when she turns fifteen, Schuyler’s life changes dramatically. She has a mosaic of blue veins on her arms, and craves raw meat. The death of a popular girl from Duchesne is surrounded by a mystery that haunts her. And strangest off all, Jack Force, the most popular boy in school, is showing a sudden interest in her. Schuyler wants to find out the secrets the Blue Bloods are keeping. But is she herself in danger? -Summary from goodreads.com

I was first introduced to the world of blue bloods during my junior year in college. The whole idea of Fallen Angels being Vampires really intrigued me. My good friend Sandra practically laid out the whole first book before I actually went out & bought it.... Yes, yes... I know, I'm a cheat, but let me tell you, Sandra is an awesome story teller but there was no way in heck she could have described this book by word of mouth. Melissa de la Cruz is the God of Fashion (& not to mention detail)! Every page was filled with rich texture; you could almost imagine yourself there in the book next to the character. Her scene descriptions have you practically tasting the atmosphere coming off the pages. I know many people criticize the whole "name dropping" of clothing brands, but to me that wasn't a problem. If anything, it helped me better visualize the world of the Blue Bloods.

Being book one on the series, the plot is a bit slow paced. At times I would ask myself, is all this information necessary? All the information on Sky's grandparents, the Mayflower, the committee- Trust me when I say it is! Every single little fact is essential to the story-line/plot. Especially the relationships... ooh & the romance! For starters, I am a hopeless romantic. Not ashamed to admit it. I've read many novels on forbidden love but when I first put two-&-two together in regards to Jack & Schuyler's relationship, I was HOOKED. Especially on Jack, you just got to love him. He's the loyal, cold vampire/fallen angel with a heart of Gold. 

Sandra & I went at it in regards to Team Oliver or Jack, & although I do love Ollie- Jack won me over since the beginning. I just hate the fact that he's predestined to be with his twin... kind of creepy. Another factor I really admired about the plot the way the author mixed in a bit of American History, even if she did add her own twist to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts