Review: Gone (Dream Cather #3)



Title: Gone (Dream Cather #3)
Author: Lisa Mcmann
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 214
Challenge: YA Series


My Rating:

Janie thought she knew what her future held. And she thought she’d made her peace with it. But she can’t handle dragging Cabel down with her. She knows he will stay with her, despite what she sees in his dreams. He’s amazing. And she’s a train wreck. Janie sees only one way to give him the life he deserves: She has to disappear. And it’s going to kill them both. Then a stranger enters her life — and everything unravels. The future Janie once faced now has an ominous twist, and her choices are more dire than she’d ever thought possible. She alone must decide between the lesser of two evils. And time is running out. . . .summary from good reads.com

I loved Janie and Cabel in the other books, and I was very hesitant in picking up GONE cause I knew I’d have to let them go. It took me a while to finally coming around, but I’m kind of sad I did…  This final book in the series is not a mystery, action, or a love story. This book is based more on Janie discovering herself. She’s trying to decide what she’s going do with her life now that she knows the consequences of her ability.

The first half of the book was the hardest for me. We get a view at Janie’s emotional reaction to recent events. She finally finds out who her father is, only to learn that he is in a coma. After further investigative his life; Janie finds out that her father too has her dream catching ability, and because if it, he now finds himself catatonic.

Personally, I found this book to lack a solid plot. For once in my life, I was hoping for a villain, but he never came. Most of the book was about Janie and her dealing with a coma induced father and an alcoholic mother, and by all means, that would have been totally fine if that was what the books were based on. But this series is a paranormal thriller! I forced myself to read through Janie’s thoughts because I wanted to get a real feel for what she was going through, but it was so depressing.

Believe it or not, one aspect I really liked about GONE was the ending. To me, the ending didn’t feel permanent and I liked that very much. The author sort of gives the reader the tiniest speck of hope. By not having a permanent ending, we’re left to believe that things might get better for Janie in the long run.

Overall, Gone was a very deep, emotional read. The first part of the book is the heaviest, but once you get past that bump, I’m sure any reader (who’s made it this far in the trilogy) will enjoy the rest of this fast paced read.

10 comments:

  1. I really need to read this series! It doesn't seem like it's the best, but it looks like something every YA reader should get there hands on. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I didn't like the third book as much as I liked the rest of the series, but you're right--at least the book ends on a note of possible hope. I remember reading a while back that Miley Cyrus was being optioned to play the role of Janie in the film adaptation; that made me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Cory- i'm positive you'll enjoy the first two books.... its just this third one that went down hill :\

    @Jessica- WTF? Miley Cyrus? are you kidding me? I hope not... i can't see her as Janie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this series (or even seen on any shelves) but I have to admit I enjoy the simplicity of all the covers. If I do see them around I'll have to give em a try! Even if the third is depressing :( Thanks for the review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought the first book in the series a few months ago I still need to read it :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Diana,

    thanks for stopping by & commenting my blog. You have a nice blog here, so I think I'm gonna follow you! :) Hope to see you amongst mine!

    Franny

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still haven't read the first book... I need to get on it! lol
    OH, and I totally agree with your pick for Ren on your sidebar! I can't think of his name right now! <3
    Following you on Twitter now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Caleb and Janie however I do agree this book didn't have a strong plot like the others. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kind of sounds like a let down. I haven't read the series yet, but I know discovering a switch in genres in the same series would have totally ruffled my feathers. I may have to skip out on these books just to keep my blood pressure under control. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I nominated you for "The Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award"! :) http://darkestsins.blogspot.com/2011/06/irresistibly-sweet-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts