Review: Demonglass (Hex Hall #2)

Title: Demonglass (Hex Hall #2)
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Publisher: Hyperion Books
Pages: 359
Challenge: None


My Rating:


Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch. That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth. Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers. But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she? -summary from goodreads.com
 
And Mrs. Hawkins does it again! This was such a great addition to the Hex Hall series; I literally could not put it down.
Sophie finally gets to meet her dad, which I’ll admit was not pretty. More than anything that scene seemed too tense and just awkward. But I did love the way the dad played his protective parental role… “Come to England, learn about your demon side and then decide whether or not you want the removal.” But being the typical (sarcastic) teenager that Sophie is, I love the way she took advantage of the situation, “hmm… It’s been said Archer’s been spotted in England. Maybe I should go. I might get lucky and see him!”… Ok, maybe the dialogue didn’t exactly go that way, but come on! We both know that’s exactly what they were thinking! But no worries, their relationship develops nicely throughout the book. They team up to crete a funny yet hard working father/daughter duo :)
Sophie’s dad arranges for her, Jenna and Cal to fly out to England for the summer. Upon arriving Sophie and the gang is introduced to Nick and Daisy, two other demons. Now I know what you’re thinking, “WTF!? I thought Sophie and her dad we’re the only demons left?” Well my friend you are partially correct. Sophie and her dad WERE the only demons, but that’s the new curveball Mrs. Hawkins has thrown our way. It turns out someone is creating new demons, and it’s up to Sophie and her dad to find out who!
I was counting down the pages until I got to see Archer again. If you read my Hex Hall review, you’ll know that Archer is one of my favorite book boyfriends. Sophie and his’ relationship is steaming! I’m always cheering for the underdog, but in this case I’m all for Team Archer. Cal’s great, but he just not for Sophie, she deserves to be with Archer.
Spoiler…. Highlight to read: Mrs. Casnoff and her sister Lara; I wanted to slap the s*%$ out of them! What is wrong with these women? Gosh, I wanted to reach in and strangle them (Missie knows what’s up)! It’s been a while since a character has provoked such hatred in me. If they do anything to Jenna, I will personally start a “Casnoff haters club”!
Overall, DEMONGLASS was a great sequel to Hex Hall. My only complaint; I kind of wanted to see Sophie grow more as a character. Don’t get me wrong, she finally realizes that’s there’s way more to her powers then she ever dreamed, and I’m happy she comes to accept it… But I was expecting a bit more development from her. With that being said, Sophie has a lot more problems and things going on in her life… Poor girl, even her sarcasm took a low toll. So I guess I sort of overlooked her character development and just accepted her as is… Oh, one more thing; the ending! That’s just CRUEL! I know authors like to end in big cliffhangers, but this ending felted rushed and unfinished. I CANNOT WAIT till book 3 comes out.

10 comments:

  1. Heee, Archer! I loved Cal a lot, too, but my loyalties will always lie with Archer. He and Sophie are just too perfect together.

    I definitely missed Sophie's sense of humor and sarcasm as well. She was definitely a lot more subdued.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Stephanie- Hurray for another loyal Archer girl! :)haha! I agree; him and Sophie are perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I do!

    Grrrrr. I hated those sisters!

    And yes! The ending was so cruel. I just wanted to throw my book out the back door after that ending.

    I have faith that Sophie will get there and develop when the time is right.

    Awesome review!

    P.S. Team ARCHER!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I really should attempt to find these books immediatly! Another great review D! I am rooting for Archer and Sophie even though I haven't read it (by your photo display there -> SO TEAM ARCHER!)I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it but total sympathy from me on the ending I cry when that happens... hope it comes out soon!Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. new follower! [:

    Great review! I've been thinking about picking this series up for awhile, since I keep seeing such great reviews of both the books. [:

    new blogger, stop by if you get a chance, thanks!:
    http://letsevaluate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep hearing so many good things about this series, but I wasn't able to get into it. I'm going to give it another try pretty soon, though, because I think I was in a weird reading mood when I tried it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the book too! The chemistry between Sophie and Archers was amazing. Jenna is a pretty awesome character too! Great review! I want to read SPELLBOUND right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I stopped by your blog today
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to start reading this series, STAT! And omg, I love how you hid the spoiler! So creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought this one was better than the second one. I think Cal is great, but you're so right... TEAM FREAKING ARCHER! And the new demons...holy ending...Great review girl!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts