Review: Babe in Boyland

Title: Babe in Boyland
Author: Jody Gehrman
Publisher: Dial Books
Pages: 292
Challenge: None

My Rating:


When high school junior Natalie--or Dr. Aphrodite, as she calls herself when writing the relationship column for her school paper--is accused of knowing nothing about guys and giving girls bad relationship advice, she decides to investigate what guys really think and want. But the guys in her class won't give her straight or serious answers. The only solution? Disguising herself as a guy and spending a week at Underwood Academy, the private all-boy boarding school in town. There she learns a lot about guys and girls in ways she never expected--especially when she falls for her dreamy roommate, Emilio. How can she show him she likes him without blowing her cover? -summary from goodreads.com

This is one of those laugh-out-loud kind of books. I started it during slow work hours- BIG MISTAKE! Everyone kept looking at me like I was crazy because of all the LOL moments I was having.
Natalie was my favorite character. She’s a witty girl who fought for anything she felt passionate on. For her school newspaper, Natalie decides to go undercover and become a boy. She enrolls at Underwood Academy as Nat. At first she isn’t accepted and she ends up befriending the “nerdy” group of boys. And then of course the inevitable happens; she falls in love with her roommate, Emilio.
Naturally, Babe in Boyland is full of drama, but it’s halfway realistic. The author gives you enough ridiculousness to accept Nat’s adventures at the academy, but enough reality to keep you from snapping out of your reading experience and claiming, “that would never happen!” One thing that really bugged me was the use of one main run-of-the-mill young adult plot device; the removal of parents or authority figures. By having Nat enroll in an all boys’ prep school and have to live there, the author cuts out unnecessary parental involvement. Authority figures are only incorporated at convenient times throughout the story. But in a way I see why this lit plot was used, by having it any other way, some scenes wouldn't have had that "utterly hilarious" feeling to them.

Overall, Babe in Boyland is a cute and funny read. I finished it in one sitting. And yes, I'm not giving to much away by saying that this book is very similar to the movie “She’s the man”…. But let me tell you that I’ve seen that movie countless times and I still very much enjoyed reading Ms. Gehrman’s novel. So if you’re looking for a quick, light, fun read- Babe in Boyland is the book for you.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:07 PM

    It sounds like a fun book, I like the mistaken identity/boarding school plots, so I'll try to check this one out.

    Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this on my shelf, I have been meaning to get to it but there are so many great books out there that I have more interest in at the moment, but I LOVE she's the man so I think I might be picking this up sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Alex- you should defeintly check it out :) its such a fun read!

    @Yani- Hurray for a fellow "She's the man" movie lover :)haha! I too love that darn movie. I've probably seen it 10 times! Let me know what you think once you come around to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:29 PM

    I loved this book!! definitely has heaps of lol moments for sure!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does sound rather convenient to leave out the parents because how else would a girl be able to enroll at a boys academy?

    Loved the move, she's the man, so I'm sure I'd love this one too! And the cover is just too cute. Glad to know there will be a lot of LOLing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read some great reviews of this one, and I really can't wait to try it out! It sounds like a HI-larious read, but believable too. I absolutely loved the movie "She's The Man," so this book definitely sounds like it would be a fun read! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sound of this! Definitely a cute and funny book. And if it's like the movie I'll probably like it ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you sat there at work, laughing out loud. :)I was a bit turned off by the cover, but I might just have to give it a try if you think it's so funny!

    Thanks so much for all the nice things you said to me on my blog!! I could hug you. It would be awesome to meet you too. You seem like SO much fun. Oh, and Divergent was epic. Seriously, so good. :)

    Anyways, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds SO cute! I hope my library gets it in soon so I can read it. :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds adorable! I also love the whimsy of the cover. LOL. I loved "She's the Man" but have a feeling I'd like this too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:39 PM

    This really sounds like a cute book :) Great review!
    Leigh | Little Book Star

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope you like it as much as i did!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts