Review: Crescendo (Hush, Hush #2)


Title: Crescendo (Hush, Hush #2)
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Challenge: None
Pages: 427


My Rating:


Nora Grey's life is still far from perfect. Surviving an attempt on her life wasn't pleasant, but atleast she got a guardian angel out of it: a mysterious, magnetic, gorgeous guardian angel. But, despite his role in her life, Patch has been acting anything but angelic. He's more elusive than ever and even worse, he's started spending time with Nora's arch-enemy, Marcie Millar. Nora would have hardly noticed Scott Parnell, an old family friend who has moved back to town, if Path hadnt been acting so distant. Even with Scott's totally infuriating attitude Nora finds herself drawn to him - despite her lingering feeling that he's hiding something. Haunted by images of her murdered father, and questioning whether her nephilim bloodline has anything to do with his death, Nora puts herself increasingly in dangerous situations as she desperatly searches for answers. But maybe some things are better left buried, because the truth could destroy everything - and everyone - she trusts. -summary from goodreads.com

(This is more of a “let me vent out my feelings” type of review, rather than a “proper review”. Crescendo has left me feeling vulnerable and weak- I hate it! Read at your own risk, there are slight spoilers- mostly about Nora and Patch's relationship.)
 
Having read and adored Hush, Hush, I was truly looking forward to reading this book. Sadly, it didn’t live up to the hype. Crescendo picks up a few weeks after "Hush, Hush", Nora is now in a relationship with Patch (who has transitioned into her Guardian Angel). She's still at odds with Marcie, and still best friends with Vee. You don't get very far into the book when things start going south. *shakes fist in air* How could you do this to us Mrs. Fitzpatrick?!
Ok, where to begin, aha! Patch! Patch really is the hero of this story. He may smirk and wear black, but this archangel-turned fallen angel-turned guardian angel is very brave and reliable. Patch's biggest virtue is the fact that he puts up with Nora, who has got to be the dumbest heroine I’ve read about this year… honestly, can the girl be more BLIND? She's harsh with Patch, then she laments that he's forgotten about her. She tells him various times to get out of her life, then breaks down when it seems like he might have taken her seriously. When Nora tells Patch, "Quit acting like I'm a huge inconvenience! I never asked for your help!", that pretty much did it for me; I was like “Eff  off , Nora!” For starters, she was putting herself in a risky situation just to see if Patch would come find her and worry about her, and when he did, she blames him for saving her. If anything, all this made me love Patch more, and hate Nora. Patch is superhumanly patient and awesome, period.
Overall, Crescendo is engaging, thrilling, and suspenseful. From the very beginning you are pulled in and thrown onto a fast paced, emotional roller coaster. While I did enjoy the twist at the ending, the book had its flaws, but I will definitely be checking out the next book in the series. With an ending like this, I have to know how the whole thing turns out in the end.

7 comments:

  1. I had some mixed feelings about this book as well--and most of them were surrounding Nora. The fact that she went from such a strong, independent character in book one to this immature little girl in book two kind of got to me, but I did still enjoy the book.

    Thanks for sharing!


    Check Out This Week's Teaser Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't so big on Nora this time around either. She just came off so immature and unstable. One of the parts that really annoyed me was when she steals Patch's car (with the key she stole from Marcie)! I was like, pardon me? I just...I can't even. That is so not a normal, sane thing to do. Other than Nora, I actually really enjoyed Crescendo. It's pretty hard to get past an unlikeable protagonist, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had some major issues with patch. he pissed me off! but crescendo was good, overall. i love how funny Vee is.


    have you picked a winner for your wither contest yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. Nora was annoying on this one. But I love the book, overall :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have to read Hush, Hush. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

    Nice blog, by the way. I love that you could watch Glee for hours on end. I could too. I listen to the soundtracks nonstop! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, what you said about Nora is perfect.!Although i must admit that the whole "marcie and patch" scenes really ticked me off. Marcie is such a hate'able character from the beginning, and even if Patch was assignied as her guardian it doesnt mean he has to be makingout with her and stuff! UGH makes me angry just thinking about it (: lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts