Review: The One That I Want

Title: The One That I Want
Author: Jennifer Echols
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Pages: 320
Challenge: None
Source: Nook ebook
Buy the Book: B&N / Amazon


My Rating:



Gemma can’t believe her luck when the star football player starts flirting with her. Max is totally swoon-worthy, and even gets her quirky sense of humor. So when he asks out her so-called best friend Addison, Gemma’s heartbroken. Then Addison pressures Gemma to join the date with one of Max’s friends. But the more time they all spend together, the harder Gemma falls for Max. She can’t help thinking that Max likes her back—it’s just too bad he’s already dating Addison. How can Gemma get the guy she wants without going after her best friend’s boyfriend? -summary from goodreads.com

When I read the summary for this book, it reminded me a lot of Elizabeth Scott’s THE UNWRITTEN RULE, especially the whole mix up boyfriend plot. But once I started it, I kind of fell in love with Gemma; the main characters (in a non-lesbian, sort of way)... you know what I liked best about her? That she is NOT weak. All her life Gemma has been teased, sometimes by those closest to her, about her weight, her fashion choice, etc… but she doesn’t let that her. Sure it may seem like she gives into Addison and does everything she tells her too, but she does it because she values Addison as a person and that gives Gemma mad points in my book!

Gemma’s attraction to Max is so relatable it kind of hurts your heart to read about it. I have read a couple books by Jennifer Echols and let me tell you that there is something about the way she writes sexual tension that makes you feel like you’re actually the one in the story. I read this book in two sittings over two days and I absolutely loved it. Although the majority of the book is based on teen/HS situations, I think readers of all ages will be able to connect with Gemma at some level, she’s THAT awesome.

9 comments:

  1. I have this one on my TBR and your review makes me want to bump it up. It sounds like a really genuine book, that I'd love to read. :D

    Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should definitely give it a try and let me know what you think :)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:03 PM

    You know? this sounds like something I would seriously like! I think I'm going to add it to my shopping list!!
    Thanks for this review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope u enjoy it as much as me :)

      Delete
  3. Gosh - I've never read a Jennifer Echols book, but I want to start with this one right now! I haven't read a good contemporary romance since Jenny Han's Summer series, and this one sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a. The book sounds adorable
    b. The cover is adorable
    c. The colored hearts you use for your ratings is adorable
    d. Your profile is adorable!

    I can't stand it, hah! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, chucks! :) Thanks so much for your kind words!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous2:25 PM

    fantastic review! I can't wait to read this one, it sounds SO CUTE, and you review confirms it. Now I need to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I really need to read this book since I'm a big fan of the author's previous work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts