Review: Half-Blood: A Covenant Novel

Title: Half-Blood: A Covenant Novel (Covenant #1)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Pages: 281
Challenge: None
Source: Own
Buy the book: BN / Amazon


My Rating:




The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck. - Summary from goodreads.com

I was very much excited to read HALF-BLOOD when I first heard about it, but I'll admit that after having read a couple reviews saying that HB was alot like Vampire Academies, I became a bit hesitant.... but you know what, I was missing out *lowers head in shame* this book rocked my world. This story follows 17-year-old Alex whom, after a series of unfortunate events, is forced back into the Covenant, a place she had once fled. She is thrown back into a life of training to prove that she should be able to continue where she left off and not become a servant. Her greatest motivator? She wants to hunt down the Daimon that killed her mother.

Alex was such an interesting character to read about. After basically witnessing the murder of her mother she still is able to push forward. She doesn't let anything get in her way. She doesn't take crap from anyone and always has a witty comeback. The relationship between Aiden and Alex was so intense. The pureblood offspring are not supposed to fraternize with the half-bloods, making Alex and Aiden’s relationship take on the appeal of a forbidden love (U-la-la! Forbiden love? Yes, Please!!). Whenever Aiden and Alex were together I could feel the tension between them. I won't lie, my stomach did little flip flops every time they were together in anticipation, I was literally screaming, "JUST KISS HER ALREADY!". Overall, yes, there are many VA similarities, but I read HALF-BLOOD without reservations and the risk paid off; I LOVED this book.

7 comments:

  1. Amazing review! I love this book and this series so much! :) I absolutely love Alex because her voice and dialogue is so relateable (not a word, but oh well) and entertaining to read!

    And Aiden St. Delphi....deep sigh. <3333 That man...uuuunnnnffff!

    -Momo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book!! :) Alex was amazing :) And Aiden <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Momo- YES! Can't believe I waited so long to join in on the Aiden smexyness.... *lowers head in shame*

    @Nea- Yes he was! I cannot begin to describe how forever far away the PURE release date is.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really have to order a copy of this book .. I've only heard positive things about it !! Looking forward to know what you think of the next one !! =)
    Happy reading Diana !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:29 AM

    I think I'm gong to try to get my paws on this books, you made them sounds so awesome
    And I'll definitely start with Daimon.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I still haven't read this one! I loved Obsidian and I know JLA can write amazing characters. And the romance in this one sounds awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book as well! :) Alex was such an awesome and hilarious protagonist. Plus, she and Aiden clicked so well. I can't wait to read Pure! So glad you loved this book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts