Review: It's Not Summer Without You

Title: It's Not Summer Without You (Summer #2)
Author: Jenny Han
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 288
Challenge: YA Series 
Source: Library
Retailer: B&N / Amazon

My Rating:


Can summer be truly summer without Cousins Beach?It used to be that Belly counted the days until summer, until she was back at Cousins Beach with Conrad and Jeremiah. But not this year. Not after Susannah got sick again and Conrad stopped caring. Everything that was right and good has fallen apart, leaving Belly wishing summer would never come. But when Jeremiah calls saying Conrad has disappeared, Belly knows what she must do to make things right again. And it can only happen back at the beach house, the three of them together, the way things used to be. If this summer really and truly is the last summer, it should end the way it started--at Cousins Beach. -Summary from goodreads.com

It's Not Summer Without You picks up a couple months after the last scene in The Summer I turned Pretty. It's summer again, but this year, Belly’s stuck at home… this year there will be no Cousins beach because Susannah has passed away. Belly feels as if her world is slowly beginning to fall apart. Not being at Cousins Beach makes each day seems like a year. Everything changes when she receives an urgent call from none other than Jeremiah Fisher himself.

If you’ve read The Summer I turned Pretty, then you’re accustomed to Han’s flash-back writing style. I enjoyed it very much in this second installment and was even more excited when I learned that we’d get some chapters in Jeremiah’s point of view. Usually changing point of views irritate me. But of course Han made it work flawlessly. Although I was expecting Susannah's character to pass away, I will admit that I did shed a couple tears. Beck was the base to this family, and you can really notice a difference now that she's gone.

I found myself engaged in these characters and, more specifically, their own distinct personality traits. The storyline surprised me; it helped me discover just how odd and tortured some people can be after they lose someone they love. Of course I’m talking about moody Conrad- with his sad lonely nights, heartbreak and his always changing teenage emotions…. He reminded me of my own coming of age story and the lasting pains of growing up.

I could not put this freaking book down! It’s been a while since a book has kept me up late, last night I broke my record with It's Not Summer Without You. I had to know how it ended. It was just, amazing, it was even better than the first. I remember reading the last pages and opening my mouth in shock. Jenny Han can write ten more books with these characters and you can bet your bottoms I will read them all! Now; onward to book 3.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this series!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I wish I could read that right now! It sounds better than book 1... but I have to admit I would cry because of losing Susannah :( I liked her! But that sounds amazing... I <3 books that keep me up at night lol Thanks for sharing your thoughts again, I hope this one makes it to my library!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:27 AM

    *grins*
    I tell you this one was my favorite. I liked the last one somewhat but I had troubles with the ending. Not so much with what happened but with how it was written.
    :P

    I think I started to like Conrad in this book even if I not always understood him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's quickly becoming one of my fav series too :) this book pushed me a bit more towards team jeremiah... love conrad but his mood wings are killer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this series! :) It's so fun and dramatic. The second book was really good, but I assure you that the third is even better. Conrad's mood swings ARE totally annoying, but in the end, he's just the sweetest thing. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a really good book in my opinion, when Belly went through the death of Susannah, i was reading this book at the same time that my grandfather died. They way the author described the way she felt, was the same way i felt and it helped me get through it better. I recently finished the last book in the series, We'll Always Have Summer, and i loved the ending! i dont want to spoil it so i wont say, but read that book!(:

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts