Review: Last Sacrifice

Title: Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy #6)
Author: Michelle Read
Publisher: Razorbill
Pages: 594
Challenge: YA Series
Source: Library
Retailer: B&N / Amazon


My Rating:

Rose Hathaway has always played by her own rules. She broke the law when she ran away from St. Vladimir's Academy with her best friend and last surviving Dragomir princess, Lissa. She broke the law when she fell in love with her gorgeous, off-limits instructor, Dimitri. And she dared to defy Queen Tatiana, leader of the Moroi world, risking her life and reputation to protect generations of dhampir guardians to come. Now the law has finally caught up with Rose--for a crime she didn't even commit. She's in prison for the highest offense imaginable: the assassination of a monarch. She'll need help from both Dimitri and Adrian to find the one living person who can stall her execution and force the Moroi elite to acknowledge a shocking new candidate for the royal throne: Vasilisa Dragomir. But the clock on Rose's life is running out. Rose knows in her heart the world of the dead wants her back . . . and this time she is truly out of second chances. The big question is, when your whole life is about saving others, who will save you? -summary from goodreads.com 
I had very high hopes for Last Sacrifice, and although I did enjoy it immensely, there were a couple of things that I wasn't to happy with. I guess you can say I had a love hate relationship with the book.

Ms. Mead managed to keep the mystery going all the way until the last chapter. Just when you thought you figured things out, she threw another wrench in the story. All the characters throughout the book weave and flow perfectly! Rose Hathaway is one of my favorite characters. Her sarcasm, naivety, humor and warrior attitude makes for an entertaining read in itself. I bawled my eyes out at the end when she confronts Adrian. Poor guy!

Now, although I absolutely loved the story and thought the ending was pretty much glorious, I was still left with a handful of unanswered questions. More than that, I feel like the story isn’t over, lots of plot holes were left open! I did not get that happy, fuzzy feeling after reaching the conclusion. This is the last book to one of my favorite series; I wanted all loose ends to tie up. I know there is going to be a spin-off series and all, but it's unfair for questions about this series to be answered in the spin-off series.

Some of my questions: *SPOILERS*

What’s going to happen to Tasha? Will she get executed, locked up, sent away? Call me evil, but after everything she did to Rose, I would have loved for her character to actually have been killed off during the final battle. Also, how does Christian feels about Rose turning in his aunt? It’s obvious he still cares because it is mentioned that he still visits her.

In the end, Rose asks Dimitri (after the bullet scene with Lissa) if he had been going in to save her or Lissa, and he answers that he doesn't know. WTF???? That's just so depressing! And Dimitri’s infamous “they come first” phrase. Ugh.

Speaking of whom; Rose and Dimitri did NOT even discuss the past matters in their relationship like when she went to Siberia, met his family, everything she did for him, his rejection of her after he was healed, etc. There were hints and small talk but nothing really clear.

Going back to Rose being shot by Tasha, NOBODY heals her! So we are led to believe that after everything, nobody tries to heal Rose and break into where she is being held (because of the lockdown)? They would have just let her die? Thankfully, she recovers by herself, but to top it all of, Rose is never even thanked by Lissa for saving her life.

Last Sacrifice was an exciting concluding book to the series, but I’ll be honest in saying that I was left wanting more! Everyone I talked to about this on twitter told me to be patient, that surely some of these questions would be answered in the spin-off books, but having read and reviewed BLOODLINES I am here to tell you that not many questions are answered….. But still, if you’re a die hard VA fan, you need to read this book ASAP! I don’t know why I waited so long.

5 comments:

  1. I love Dimitri. I do. But I really feel for Adrian in this one. I am also super happy that Mead didn't just "make" Adrian ok with it. He was pissed. As he should be. But hey, Dimitri, how you doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gaah! I know what you mean! I don't get why Dimitri and Rose didn't talk more about their relationship. They had all the time in the world and they didn't really touch upon it well.

    And the end drove me insane. I mean, I get that Dimitri is all about his duty and being a guardian and all BUT he did go against the rules and fall in love with Rose. You'd think that when she asked he would at least give her a straight answer and say, "Yes, Roza, I was trying to save you not Lissa because >insert some totally romantic line which only Richelle Mead could write<."

    I liked Adrian throughout the series but that final chapter when he tears into Rose and tells it to her straight up really made me love him. He was so genuine about her and she did betray him and his reaction was so real. I loved it!

    *ceases ranting* I did enjoy it though but I was expecting more somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes yes yes! Adrian had every right to be pissed! Rose pretty much used him.... & Komal, I totally agree with you! When Adrian finally "snaps" on her at the end, I totally respected him that much more! I'm totally Team D, but Rose can have him; I LOVE Adrian. Oh ladies.... we can go on for days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:34 PM

    Aww, I'm sorry it wasn't all you hoped!
    I haven't read this series though my friend Vi claims it's pretty good - but she's way more into vamps than me.

    Anyway, I'm happy it was ok bad, over all. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, and thanks for following my blog. I'm returning the favor.

    As much as I loved this book, I did have some lingering questions. I think I rated it four stars for that reason! I loved Dimitri/Rose but I think they needed a little more resolution, and I just wanted to hug Adrian forever.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts