Review : Burned (House of Night #7)

Title: Burned (House of Night #7)
Author: PC & Kristen Cast
Publisher: St Martin's Griffin
Pages: 364
Challenge: YA Series
Source: Personal Copy


My Rating:


Zoey Redbird is the youngest High Priestess in House of Night history and is the only person – vamp or fledgling – that can stop the evil Neferet from raising all kinds of immortal trouble. And she might just have a chance if she wasn’t so busy being dead. Well, dead is too strong a word. Stevie Rae knows she can bring her BFF back from her unscheduled va-cay in the Otherworld. But it’s going to take a lot more than hoping to bring Zoey back. Stevie Rae will have to give up a few secrets of her own . . .summary from goodreads.com
After reading this latest installment, I can safely say I am done with the House of Night series for good. The only reason I finished BURNED was out of loyalty. This was one of the series that got me back into reading. I loved the whole idea of boarding school for vampires with special powers (it was as if Twilight met Harry Potter). I loved Zoey and the nerd heard and loved reading about all the adventures they had, but lately, these past couple of books have not been living up to their predecessors.

One of the things that really bugged me in this book was the switching POV. I don't understand how a chapter in Zoey's POV would be in first person, but then the next chapter (or any chapter that wasn’t Zoey’s POV) would be in the third person. Does that make sense? It confused the heck out of me. If you’re going to use multiple POV’s at least make them work.

Another pet peeve of mine; what’s up with all the F-bombs? Aside from being totally inappropriate, it was such a distraction. I may not be a teen anymore, but I don’t remember saying fuck in every other sentence. It seemed to be like the Cast’s were trying too hard to get the “teenage voice” down. Also, the storyline was just too slow. I literally had to skip parts in hopes that the story would pick up the pace later on.

The only good thing I can say about BURNED is Stark. I love his character and I very much enjoyed his journey in this book. I respected the fact that he felt forced to go on this “mission” to save his queen (Zoey)…. And that little twist about having to defeat the evil within himself?! Totally surprised me, very clever. Was not expecting that.

Overall, I think it’s safe to say that I will not be continuing with the series. If by any chance I start to hear the series improves, (I mean, they are planning on having 12 books in the series, this is barely book 7), I might pick it back up. But I’ll most likely get it from the library. I’m done spending money on the House of Night novels.

5 comments:

  1. Sigh. I was really hoping you would rekindle my love for this series, but I, too, have set it aside. After the end of book 6 (Tempted?), I was tired of it. And while I did buy this book and the one after, I have yet to open either. Might be time to get rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the first one in this series, mostly because I live very close to Tulsa and enjoyed the locale mentions in the books. However, the writing was terrible and I didn't read any more, besides a later one that I can't remember the title. And it was only read because it was the ONLY book available to me during a flight. Le sigh. There is just no flow in them :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I agree that BURNED wasn't as great as Tempting, but I still love the series. Burned isn't the last book in the series so far, AWAKENED is. And to be completely honesty, I loved Awakened... alot. Maybe you should give the series... one more chance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:55 PM

    Aww, I'm sorry the book let you down.
    :( my friend Vi is a huge fan of this series and I know she'll be sad to hear it goes down.

    Stark does sound interesting, though!

    Thanks for the thoughtful review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read a single House of Night book. I do hear they are good, but mostly I've been recommended them by people who are 13/14. It seems they maybe are for a different audience than myself. Awesome review, Diane!

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts