Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer


Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara #1)
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Pages: 452
Challenge: None
Source: Own
But the book: BN / Amazon


My Rating:




Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. It can. She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed. There is. She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. She's wrong. -Summary from goodreads.com

"What the HELL just happened?"
Those were my exact 5 words after having finished The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. I've read many reviews for Mara and you either LOVE IT or you HATE IT. There's no in-between.... Personally, I freaking LOVED it! This book BLEW me away! And I hate it that I can't really get into the story without giving to much away... After reading the first couple of chapters, I thought this was going to be a story about demon possession (or around those lines). Could not have been more wrong! This story is more of a compelling, mystery-thriller, because you don't know what's real and what isn't. There are so many twists and surprises... Such a crazy ride.

Of course, you have your typical YA cliche aspects;
-typical mean girl (evil blond girl, who does the impossible to patronize Mara)
-cocky male lead (Noah; British, gorgeous and he knows it. Doesn’t let anyone “in”, until he meets Mara)
-cliffhanger ending (in this story its more like Ms. Hodkin throws us off the cliff rather than keep us hanging… Yeah, that bad)

But you know what, if anything, the whole cliche feeling actually worked in favor of the story. Ms. Hodkin worked her magic to make this novel super addicting; I could not put it down! The only sucky thing about this book is the ending. The author clearly ties up some loose ends, but only to untie others. The end seemed rushed and just a big mess. Plus, this book has the WORST cliffhanger in the history of cliffhangers! I kid you not when I say that after I finished the last page, I seriously thought my book was defective. I even went out to my local B&N to check other MARA books to make sure. Alas, my book was in perfect condition (booo!) and I now how to wait a whole flippin' year for book 2 to come out.... O_o Lord, help me!

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:32 AM

    This definitely sounds like a book that polarizes people.
    I'm not sure if I would love it but more and more I feel like I should try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right!! The ending was brutal :/ I mean seriously?? I was so sure that the book was defective too because I read it online so I was like, "Where'd the last pages go?" lol Glad to hear there is another Noah and Daniel fan! Haha remember when you commented on my review D? And said, Is he really all that grand? (Yes I did go back and check) NOW you know! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd already decided I wasn't going to read this based on other reviews but now you've changed my mind.

    The premise sounds exciting! Great review, Diana!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah!! You spoiled part of the mystery with the demon possessing thing. :S I never gave it much thought, to be honest. YOU RUINED IT! Haha.

    Oh well. I cannot wait to read this. I'm sure I can forgive the little cliches (since it's really hard to get away from them)--I'll probably be too gobsmacked by the ending to care by that time! XD Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, I'm totally with you and those were the words in my head when finishing as well! It was addicting and twisting and I loved it to death! The cliffhanger was torture and I cannot wait for book two either. Need. Want!

    Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your review was TOTALLY helpful! I have read MANY a Mara review and have been putting off reading my copy, because like you, I assumed it was going to be a tale of demons and such. I LOVE a good thriller and I am so glad thats more along the lines of what this book is! You put it perfectly without giving anything away. I may have to dive into it this weekend. GREAT review! It was seriously so helpful!!! Thanks for being a new follower on my blog! :) LOVE your blog and design! Will definately be stalking you regularly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Alex & Komal- you should definitely try it out :) it really is worth a read!

    @Lulu- Yes, I now know... Noah really is ALL that GRAND <3 love him! :)haha!

    @Cass- if you do end up reading it, you should totally let me know if the cliches had an impact on your opinion of the story... or not.

    @Rebecca- I'm with you 100%! It needs to be 2012 now!

    @Princess of Storyland- aww thanks so much! your kind words just made my day :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!! Im so glad you loved this book! is in my top tep for this year woooohoooo!! =9

    I know about the cliches and some people even compare Noah to Edward Cullen and stuff but who cares! this book is amazingly well written and it takes you on a rollercoaster and stuf! I love it with all my heart!

    I agree about the ending but there you have the freaking cliffy that will kept us on the edge until we get the sequel XD (Michelle is so mean with us!)

    Wonderful review =D
    Thank for stopping by my blog ^___^ Im looking forward to read your though on IF I Stay and please after you finish that one read Where She Went ASAP!! IS SOOOO GOOOD!! I read it in a day! my review is ready but it will be up tomorrow after the WoW XD.

    Muah! hope you are having a wonderful holiday =)

    yay!
    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this in my TBR pile, thanks for reminding me..why i bought it and need to read it..LOL
    New Follower, thanks to friends on twitter.
    would love if ya stopped by my blog and checked out my reviews of Everneath and Shatter Me. If you like them..follow me:)
    http://kimbathecaffeinatedbookreviewer.blogspot.com/
    @kimbacaffeinate

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts