Review: Hourglass (Hourglass #1)

Title: Hourglass (Hourglass #1)
Author: Myra McEntire
Publisher: Egmont USA
Pages: 397
Source: Library
Challenge: 2011 Debut Author Challenge


My Rating:

One hour to rewrite the past . . . For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back. So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past. Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened? -summary from goodreads.com

17-year-old Emerson, or Em, can see “ghosts” from the past. As soon as she touches them, they “pop”, or disappear. After the tragic death of both her parents Emerson now lives with her older brother Thomas and his wife. To help her get rid of her visions (as her brother likes to call them), Thomas hires Michael, a worker for the Hourglass Company. It’s through Michael that Em discovers that she’s not alone, there are many like her. (Don’t want to give more on the plot, I feel I’ll just spoil the story for you.)

This was book was AWESOME! Science fiction, romance, a coming-of-age story, action, and peril- this book has it all! I can't believe this is a debut novel. It had such an enthralling storyline, the plot was perfectly paced and characterization was great. Emerson, or Em for short, is a great strong willed protagonist. Although she doesn’t know much about her “condition”, she proves over and over again that she can take care of herself. She’s very easy to relate to. I loved learning about the “rips” and watching Emerson slowly accept who she is.

Then there’s Michael, Charming, loyal, self-sacrificing …. My only complaint about Michael is the whole hot and cold attitude. One minuet he’s kissing Em, and the next he’s saying their love can’t be (you’ll see why). It drove me nuts! But then came to my rescue Kaleb. Ah, Kaleb… 3 words; hot and complicated. Kaleb’s got the sexy bad boy with a heart of gold thing covered. One thing I loved about him was that he was very direct about his feelings. He held nothing back. The few scenes he did have with Em were wonderful, totally swoon worthy. I want to know more about him in the next book… When does that come out?

Overall, Hourglass is a creative and exciting debut! I’d say it’s a mix between X-men and Heroes. Did anyone ever watch Heroes? I know the series got cancelled a while back, but Hourglass reminded me a bit of it. Regardless, if you haven’t had time to read Hourglass, and you’re a fan of either show, I’d suggest you check it out soon :)

7 comments:

  1. This sounds intriguing. I would definitely like to check it out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO glad you liked this one! Michael was pretty hot and cold, but also sexy, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was most definitely awesome...and I love Kaleb too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome review! I like that you related it to X-Men and Heroes. I can totally see that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I loved this one!! It was so much fun and I can't wait for more from these characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to get this! On my list for sure. I love the name Emerson - it's really unique!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YEAH! You are like the 4th good review I've seen for this book and it only excites me that much more. The characters sound so amazing. I'm so excited to read this. I'm totally picking it up for my vaca next week! *squee*

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts