Review: Pretty Crooked (Pretty Crooked #1)

Title: Pretty Crooked (Pretty Crooked #1)
Author: Elisa Ludwig
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Pages: 368


My Rating:


Willa’s secret plan seems all too simple: take from the rich kids at Valley Prep and give to the poor ones.Yet Willa’s turn as Robin Hood at her ultra-exclusive high school is anything but. Bilking her “friends”-known to everyone as the Glitterati-without them suspecting a thing, is far from easy. Learning how to pick pockets and break into lockers is as difficult as she’d thought it’d be. Delivering care packages to the scholarship girls, who are ostracized just for being from the “wrong” side of town, is way more fun than she’d expected.The complication Willa didn’t expect, though, is Aidan Murphy, Valley Prep’s most notorious (and gorgeous) ace-degenerate. His mere existence is distracting Willa from what matters most to her-evening the social playing field between the have and have-nots. There’s no time for crushes and flirting with boys, especially conceited and obnoxious trust-funders like Aidan.But when the cops start investigating the string of burglaries at Valley Prep and the Glitterati begin to seek revenge, could he wind up being the person that Willa trusts most? -goodreads.com

Quick read but it kept me entertained until the very end. So many unanswered questions that actually motivate me to want to go buy the next book... So why only 3 hearts?

Lets begin with the positives. Not trying to steal someones quote, but I read somewhere on good reads that this book is the perfect combination of Mean Girls and Robin Hood, and truer words have never been spoken. I laughed so hard at some parts that my roommate probably thought I was going crazy! But at the same time, my heart felt for Willa during other parts... I get it, she steals and no book should "hype" that up... but what Willa did was so much more than that, in my eyes. Having been in the shoes of the "scholarship kid" I would have been the first to hug and cheer for Willa. These girls were bullies and I hated how the whole school secretly adored them.

Now onto the negatives...The dialogue was super cheesy at times, it had me eye rolling. I hated how Willa always trusted the wrong people. Plus, this book felt like it fed into stereotypes (the black guy with a record? Come on!). The thing the probably pissed me off the most was the ending and answered questions. What's going on with the mom? Why have a major cliff hanger ending with no resolution? Was this all just a marketing ploy to get me to buy the next book?... Because it's working. I'll let you know how book 2 treats me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts