Review: Shatter Me

Title: Shatter Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pages: 342
Source: ARC Publisher
Buy the Book: BN / Amazon


My Rating:


Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior. 
-summary from goodreads.com

A breathtaking debut!

Tahereh Mafi's debut novel begins by introducing us to Juliette,a 17 year old girl whom has been locked away from society for 264 days... why? Because, Juliette has a secret; a gift, a curse: her touch is dangerous, possibly lethal to others....

Lets talk about the aspects that made this novel such a huge success (for me, personally). Let's begin with the writing. Dear Lord baby Jesus, Ms. Mafi can write! I was completely blown away by her style of writing. With her cross outs and descriptive writing, Ms. Mafi gives you insight and subtext to Juliette. I felt as if I was there with her, experiencing what she did, feeling what she felt, I felt in on her secret and I didn't want anyone else to find out. I wanted to help her guard it. I felt like it was me and Juliette against the world, together. I've never been so engaged in a novel.

Enter Adam. All my defenses break down and I am vulnerable, weak..... I am Adam's. Adam has got to be one of the most swoon-worthy YA males I have ever read about. Loyal, protective, charming and sexy as hell. Adam and Juliette easily make my top 5 YA couples. The secondary characters were also great. My favorites are Kenji and Warner. While being complete opposites, they were just awesome.

The only minor problem I did notice (and have seen it being mentioned around the blogosphere) is the similarity to X-Men. Now, being a big comic nerd, I picked up on a lot of similarities between Rogue and Juliette. It's the truth, but SHATTER ME comes with its own twists and surprises.... It really is unique. Plus, I loved reading about a heroine that stands up for herself and doesn't let others run her life. Juliette has a fieriness and bravery that I wish I had.

Overall, SHATTER ME is a unique and intriguing story that every YA lover must pick up. Action, romance and spunk- this book has it all! Haven't read it? WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? Click the link above and order yourself a copy :D You won't be sorry.

16 comments:

  1. Eeeee glad you loved it too!! And YES Adam *swoon* what a freaking fabulous love interest. I love the X-Men so a book that plays out like an awesome movie is totally fine with me :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahaha - Book Soul Mate (BSM) This is coming in the mail for me soon. I am dying to read it... Can't wait to meet Adam. I will let you know when i get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shut up! You got to read this? Shatter Me has been on my TBR list for well forever... I hope I can manage to get a copy soon :) So happy to hear you loved it... Adam sounds *hot* and it sounds like a book that NEEDS to be on my shelf! Plus I totally want to own that dress :D Thanks for sharing your thoughts Diana! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my knees went a little wobbly when Adam walked into the book. :) And I agree with you - Kenji and Warner were both sort of fabulous in their own ways. Warner just happened to be my favorite sort of bad guy. :D

    And the writing style! It was very...steam of consciousness I guess? Different from anything I've ever read but amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome review! You got me excited for it!!

    http://frosybookreviews.blogspot.com/2011/11/teaser-tuesday-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:30 AM

    I think I'm more intrigued by this book because of the X-Men references, I used to lvoe the cartoon! Thanks for the review, it sounds like it could be pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:28 PM

    I need to read this book! I seriously need to get my hands on this. Great review :)
    MaryAnn@ Chapter by Chapter

    ReplyDelete
  8. The more reviews I read about this one, the more intrigued I get! It sounds extremely good and I'm dying to get my hands on a copy. I want to read her intriguing writing style and about her characters as well! Great, great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVED this book! Glad to see you did too, and great review! I'm a new follower :) thanks for stopping by!

    Amy @ Following The Reader

    ReplyDelete
  10. glad to see I have motivated some of you :D haha! If you've already read it, send me a link to your review and I'll be sure to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am anxiously waiting for this to come into my library. I am number one on the hold list, and I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like a great read! I love books with exceptional writing and great characters, even if the themes might be overplayed. I'll give this one a good chance for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really glad you liked this one. I'm very much looking forward to reading it and especially getting to know Adam! *swoon* I've heard so much about him and I simply cannot wait! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Dear Lord baby Jesus, Ms. Mafi can write!"

    LOL! Well, that's certainly a way to put it.

    Yay! Another glowing review for Shatter Me. I really need to get on the ball and read this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I am sure getting this one next time I go to the book store.

    Great Review :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. *squeals* Another great review for Shatter Me!!! Awesome review! This book seems to have a lot going for it but the reason I'm soooo going to pick this book up is Adam! *sigh* He sounds so dreamy :) Anyway the fact that you enjoyed the author's writing style is also awesome. Glad you enjoyed it a s much as you did and I hope I do too lol

    Jaskirat~SeeitORreadit

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts