Review: Tempted by PC & Kristen Cast

Title: Tempted (House of Night #6)
Author: PC & Kristen Cast
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Pages: 336
Challenge: YA Series


My Rating:
 


Zoey needs a break after some serious excitement. Sadly, the House of Night school for vampyres doesn't feature breaks on its curriculum - even for a High Priestess in training and her gang. Plus juggling three guys is no stress reliever, especially when one is a sexy Warrior so into protecting Zoey that he's sensing her emotions. Wider stresses lurk too, and the dark force in Tulsa's tunnels is spreading. Could Stevie Rae be responsible for more than a group of misfit fledglings? And Aphrodite's visions warn Zoey to stay away from the immortal Kalona and his dark allure - but they also show that only Zoey can stop him. She's not exactly keen to meet up, but if Zoey doesn't go to Kalona he'll exact a fiery vengeance on those closest to her. She just has to find the courage to do what's necessary, or everything that's important to her will be destroyed. -summary from goodreads.com

I've stuck with his series for quite some time now. I really enjoyed the first five House of Night books, with the exception of book 3.... its was just bad. I remember all books as being addicting, edge of my seat interesting. I know I was often annoyed by the constant recapping, but I thought the characters were good and the story line was strong.... but Tempted was different. It was more of a bitter-sweet read- let me explain;

For starters, I felt that it took too long for the story to actually develop into an interesting plot. The books begins with the same problem Zoey has had throughout all 6 books; she can’t decide which boy toy she wants on her top shelf... I'll be honest, I'm starting to really dislike Zoey! She is like the Whore of all Babylon (excuse the language), yet every male character (with the exception of Damien and Jack) fall for her... I laughed my butt off when Erik told her, "I'm sick of you cheating on me with everyone who has a dick." Haaaaa! Even the characters in the book share my opinion! This whole book was supposed to be a big build up to Zoey's showdown with Kalona, but the story ends so suddenly that I felt ripped off. The actual "fight" isn't a fight at all and is done in about two pages. It just seemed pointless for the group to take a trip to Italy to have the book end as it did.

Despite whatever I just wrote, I did like the book. Stark was around alot and he is my favorite character hands down. It was nice to see more of him.... What he see's in Zoey, I will never understand. About the POV's changing in the book; I was worried at first that things would get confusing, but I found myself relieved to be in someone else's head that wasn't Zoey. It was very refreshing. I really liked the Heath and Stark parts, even though they were very small. And, surprisingly enough, I really enjoyed all Zoey/Stark interactions; I really see a relationship growing between the two, even though it's very obvious that Stark fights his true feelings for Zoey throughout the entire book.

Now do you understand why this book is more of a bitter-sweet read? The ending was a bit disappointing (not to mention super sad), but if you must know, yes- I will read the next installment but only because I already bought it. Hopefully the next book, Burned, picks up the slack and gets back into all the action.

4 comments:

  1. This is the next book I have to read in this series... and I don't think I will unfortunately. Like you, I really enjoyed the first couple, then it just seemed like they were going downhill from there. Is it just me or is Zoey, with her crazy boy troubles, super annoying? Drove me nuts! A little drama is good, but not THAT much. Geez.

    Thanks for the great review.

    Sarah
    Inklings Read

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I am on book #4 in this series and so far I think all of the books are somewhat bitter-sweet. Hopefully they get better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Sarah - I dont blame you. The only reason I'll be reading the next one is because I already bought it. Yesss! Zoey and her boy troubles are super annoying. If I were her I'd get with Stark and screw everyone else- eh, poor choice of words... how about tell everyone else to back off :)haha!

    @Brittany- Thanks girly, let me know what you think of book 4 when your done. Personally I really enjoyed Untamed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I quit the series...some of my students really like it...but I can't...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts