Review: Carrier of the Mark (Carrier #1)

Title: Carrier of the Mark (Carrier #1)
Author: Leigh Burdugo 
Publisher: HarperTeen
Pages: 342

My Rating:


When Megan Rosenberg moves to Ireland, everything in her life seems to fall into place. After growing up in America, she's surprised to find herself feeling at home in her new school. She connects with a group of friends, and she is instantly drawn to darkly handsome Adam DeRÍs. But Megan is about to discover that her feelings for Adam are tied to a fate that was sealed long ago—and that the passion and power that brought them together could be their ultimate destruction. -goodreads.com

This book was my savior in 2018. To be honest I was debating on whether or not I'd keep the blog, re-vamp it or just shut it down. Once I finished Carrier I KNEW there was no way I could keep my love for this book all to myself. I had to sit down and VENT my feelings... even if it was to my un-updated blog. I was very fortunate that I read the book first before checking out the Goodreads page because MY GOD. People can be soooo evil. If you were to check out the goodreads page for Carrier, you will see people make direct similarities between Carrier and Twilight. Actually, no, not similarities, they accuse Carrier of being a cheap rip-off version of Twilight. And that kind of heart my hurt because I liked this book so much... I honest to God didn't think of Twilight ONCE when I was reading the book.

Now that I've finished it and made the comparison, I can somewhat see the similarities (adopted families, the council = the voltari) but it's nothing like people make it out to be. I read a review where someone said the sister's names both begin with the letter 'A' -_- Really?... come on, people are just looking for a way to be hateful. If I had to tell a friend what this book was about I would say it was a more mature young adult take on The Last Air Bender (but with Romance). In Carrier, Megan our main character (and she is nothing like Bella), can control air, that's her element.

Megan is awesome and very relatable. She's careful, calm, and strong. She has recently lost her mother and moved to Ireland with her father. Thats when she meets Adam. Oh. Em. Gee. They don't make them like Adam anymore... I did think that they kissed way too early (for my personal taste) but that didn't take anything away from the story or plot. The setting in this book is terrific! I've visited Ireland before and I could imagine myself there again with how vivid and complete Ms. Fallon's descriptions were. I honestly cannot wait to get my hands on book 2.

If you're thinking about checking this book out, do it! Don't let negative reviews ever stop you from picking up a book. Or maybe you're like one of my students who said, "I loved twilight so the fact that you loved it and say people compare it to Twilight only makes me want to pick it up even more!" So whatever side you take, just do me a fav and give this book a try. You won't regret it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Please know I do read (and appreciate) each post! I often times return the love :)

Related Posts